News Leaker says Sony expects PS5 Pro specs to surface this month, as dev kits make their way to game studios

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
For me, a key question would be about PS4 backward-compatibility. Let's not forget that PS4's GPU was GCN-architecture, while the PS5's is RDNA2. When RDNA launched, it had a funny backwards compatibility mode for GCN. However, that's probably using up some silicon realestate, and maybe holding back the GPU in other ways, too. So, I'd expect it to be one of the first features they drop.

If we look at historical precedent, the first PS3 initially contained hardware support for running PS1 and PS2 games. This quickly disappeared, over successive revisions and variants, as they sought to reduce hardware costs. They added the ability to run some of these games in emulation, but neither compatibility nor accuracy were reportedly as good.

So, now that we have loads of PS5 titles for people to play, I wonder if Sony won't start phasing out support for playing at least some PS4 titles on them. I doubt all PS4 games contain low-level GCN optimizations, but it's almost certain that some do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS