Leap Motion Control Technology Shipping with New Asus PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Yes, I can't wait to "leap" around the room like an idiot to control my PC.

Just because it requires far more advanced technology to implement does not mean it is easier to use than say, pressing a button!

It's pretty sad that computers are actually going to become Slower and more cumbersome to use, just for the novelty of motion gestures and touch interfaces for doing Everything.

Case in point, I believe there was just an article today on Toms about the new interface by Cadillac. Also, remember the Power Glove anyone?

Wait until they force you to wave your arms around like an idiot just to change your TV channel.

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
[citation][nom]blaaaaaah[/nom]Yes, I can't wait to "leap" around the room like an idiot to control my PC. Just because it requires far more advanced technology to implement does not mean it is easier to use than say, pressing a button! It's pretty sad that computers are actually going to become Slower and more cumbersome to use, just for the novelty of motion gestures and touch interfaces for doing Everything. Case in point, I believe there was just an article today on Toms about the new interface by Cadillac. Also, remember the Power Glove anyone? Wait until they force you to wave your arms around like an idiot just to change your TV channel.[/citation]
Exaggerate much?

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
^^^ LOL, just a little. Obviously expecting it to be like Wii or Kinect. I have seen the Leap device before and it is actually pretty cool. How it works in the real world? TBD.

ibnmuhammad

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Extremely cool piece of technology, so it would be interesting to see how this will be utilised by normal/general public rather than just the obvious use in professional fields like medical science and 3d modeling, in the coming years.

I can't help but think this is exactly where Steve Jobs would have realised the potential for the technology in the lives of us normal folks, i.e. just like the mouse, touchpad, gui interface, home pc, touch interface, etc, etc.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
I think that is the coolest thing about the leap. The company has reached out to developers all over the word and given away tons of free leap devices and dev kits. Almost everyday there is a new video posted on their Facebook page from a developer showing a different application for the device. I doubt it will fail commercially with this large of a following.

I myself pre-orderd in May. Supposedly they start shipping first quarter this year.

I cannot wait for this to come out! The last thing I want is a touch screen for my 27" monitor, but I do like the idea of gesture control for some things, and I think as computers and phones collide in the future we are going to see this as a great alternative to be forced into getting our grubby hands on our beautiful screens.

If this is 1/2 as neat as advertised then I will be very happy with it. And for $70 they will definitely have my business once my house stops falling apart and I can have some spare change to throw their way.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]I cannot wait for this to come out! The last thing I want is a touch screen for my 27" monitor, but I do like the idea of gesture control for some things, and I think as computers and phones collide in the future we are going to see this as a great alternative to be forced into getting our grubby hands on our beautiful screens.If this is 1/2 as neat as advertised then I will be very happy with it. And for $70 they will definitely have my business once my house stops falling apart and I can have some spare change to throw their way.[/citation]
This!
Also touch screens won't work with google glass or rift oculus, and we know tiny screens with big profit margins is where the future will go.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
This is what the Kinect for the PC should have been... small and priced below 100 dollars. $70 bucks is still a little higher than I would like to see (not for myself but for the general public). If they can bring the price down to $49.95 then everyone will buy it. And that is exactly what this kind of technology needs, everyone to have it, so that programs are written for it.

[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]This is what the Kinect for the PC should have been... small and priced below 100 dollars. $70 bucks is still a little higher than I would like to see (not for myself but for the general public). If they can bring the price down to $49.95 then everyone will buy it. And that is exactly what this kind of technology needs, everyone to have it, so that programs are written for it.[/citation]
kinnect for the PC is not out yet. What is available is a dev kit, not a consumer model. The consumer version will be out some time this year, look a little nicer, have a few less options, and cost a bit less.

Status
Not open for further replies.