Least complicated TV interface for elderly?

daf999999

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2014
My elderly father is having trouble turning on his TCL/Roku tv - at power-on, it requires user to select an input/source (cable box, netflix, prime, etc). He often forgets which input to select and randomly begins hitting remote buttons until one of us drives over to fix the issue for him.

His primary viewing is Xfinity cable. I'd like to resolve this by getting a TV that powers-on straight to the xfinity cable box, using the xfinity remote, without having to make an input/source selection. It would be ideal of I could get the existing TCL/Roku to "default" to the cable box but that does not appear to be an option.

Can you all recommend a TV (43"-ish) that would work in this scenario? I'm happy to (and would prefer) to get a non-smart TV and set up a Roku box for those rare times he wants Netflix (generally when others are there to watch with him, and assist in loading Netflix).

Ease of use and cost are bigger considerations than video/audio quality.

Thanks

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
My Vizio remembers the last input used and defaults to that on start up. It is from the slightly higher range P-series though.

My dad's old Samsung smart TV has never seemed to have an issue and will connect to his Xfinity box on startup. Usually more annoying to track down the Samsung remote when you DO want to change inputs.

USAFRet

Titan
I would say a Logitech Harmony Hub. But they've stopped selling them.

I have one, and it does exactly what you're looking for.

"Watch TV" = Turn on the TV, TV to the correct Input (cable box), Change the cable box to the default channel.

"Watch Netflix" = If the TV is already On, switch it to Netflix. If TV is NOT on, turn it on and switch to Netflix.

etc, etc, etc...

Alternatives to the Logi?
Possibly an Alexa?

My elderly father is having trouble turning on his TCL/Roku tv - at power-on, it requires user to select an input/source (cable box, netflix, prime, etc). He often forgets which input to select and randomly begins hitting remote buttons until one of us drives over to fix the issue for him.

His primary viewing is Xfinity cable. I'd like to resolve this by getting a TV that powers-on straight to the xfinity cable box, using the xfinity remote, without having to make an input/source selection. It would be ideal of I could get the existing TCL/Roku to "default" to the cable box but that does not appear to be an option.

Can you all recommend a TV (43"-ish) that would work in this scenario? I'm happy to (and would prefer) to get a non-smart TV and set up a Roku box for those rare times he wants Netflix (generally when others are there to watch with him, and assist in loading Netflix).

Ease of use and cost are bigger considerations than video/audio quality.

Thanks

You should be able to setup the Xfinity cable box to power on the TV at the same time as the cable box, if the TV won't save the last input used or the only input available maybe needs a new TV.