Mannet

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
I am building a new pc and am purchasing 2 of http://tinyurl.com/683l5sa . In order to be sure that they have the largest impact, i was thinking of ways to control the leds on the fans i plan on ordering. I thought i could strip the connection wire, find the led wire, expose the copper, and wrap it through the loops on http://www.xoxide.com/hummer-switch.html . I did a similar thing with an ethernet cable to create a lag switch(<3). I'm not sure if the same applies. And I know that I am never going to be able to find the LED wire so I was wondering if anyone knows which wire is for the led on a fan, and if this will even work.

Many thanks,

Robert.

You could hook the fan leds up to a variable resistor, like on a fancontroller unit to dim them,
easiest way to find the led wires is start at the led at each corner and trace back to the point on the board that they all go to, whichever is the common colour, white/black is ground, red or whatever will be the positive,
alternatively, put a couple of wires off a 9v battery and look for the solderpoint with two wires going to it from the molex/3pin plug, thats ground, one of the other two points is live for the led, the last is the fan motor, its 50/50 as to which is which
I assume your ok with a soldering iron given your previous exploits so you could just line them up on one line to the fan controller then dim/blind at will :p
You can also do that with cathodes, but once you lose a certain amount of voltage, it shortens along the length of the tube instead of dimming

I also put an on/off switch on mine so I can if needs be
Those Cm fans have low cfm, look for something with around 50+ at least
Moto

Mannet

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
I wish someone just made a video tutorial, this is all so confusing to me, i thought i could just like split the wires coming from the LEDs and wrap the copper around the prongs in the switch.. damnit.

yes, but they have the LED wires already like, accessible I guess the word is.

You could do it that way, but it would get messy splicing four pairs of wires together to an extension, times however many fans you need to do, and wrapping wires around each other creates resistance, better to solder them
Up to you man, just check out the wiring you do with everything unplugged from the psu except the fans and switch ofc
Moto