Question Legacy Build Upgraded - MoBo/HD/GPU Question

BreakingDawn

Honorable
Apr 26, 2016
Yoooo guys, hope y'all doing fine!!!! Recently i decided to upgrade my ancient old pc, just to bring ir some life y'know.
So here's the thing, I switched my old HDD( 2003- Western Digital) with a new HDD 1Tb for storage and bought an SSD for the os
Still debating whether I should install windows 7 or 10 on that pentium D 945 lo.
The thing is, the old hdd was ide, new ones are sata but when they connect on the computer the hdd led doesn't power on. In addition, my GPU seems to not giving signal to my monitor, i am using an hdmi cable but i am debating whether i should connect with a dvi one coz there are no drivers or anything installed, dang i mean i can't even open it and install windows... So yeah these are my 2 problems right now .. Any ideas how I should proceed?

P.S: the components work 100%
Mobo is : GA-8l945GL-P
New SSD+HDD: Patriot 256+ 1TB WD Blue 7200
GPU: AMD Radeon HD6670

Sorry if this is not the correct thread!!!!!

Lutfij

Titan
I doubt you're going to see any benefit with Windows 10 on that old platform. You should stick to Windows 7 at best. What is the make and model of your PSU and it's age? Your board has 4 SATA ports and they should be running at SATA 2 speeds, which means that the drives you have should be backwards compatible. Do they show up in BIOS? Speaking of BIOS, what BIOS version are you on at this moment of time?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Unless you are keeping this around for a legacy program or hardware compatibility, I just not sure it would be worth any level of headache to get this thing to run (and wait on). Even a humble 3/4th gen office refurb would run absolute circles around this machine, would be capable of W10 and make good use of the SSD.

BreakingDawn

Honorable
Apr 26, 2016
I doubt you're going to see any benefit with Windows 10 on that old platform. You should stick to Windows 7 at best. What is the make and model of your PSU and it's age? Your board has 4 SATA ports and they should be running at SATA 2 speeds, which means that the drives you have should be backwards compatible. Do they show up in BIOS? Speaking of BIOS, what BIOS version are you on at this moment of time?
Sooo the PSU is new, just got it today along with the new hdd and ssd, brand is force 550W, didn't buy anything special coz I just wanna turn it on and have it working for that sweet nostalgia.

At the moment, I cannot yet see if they show up in BIOS because I get a black screen when turning on the computer, I am suspecting it's the hdmi cable playing tricks so I ordered a dvi/vga adaptor, I guess ill be able to tell by tomorrow.

BreakingDawn

Honorable
Apr 26, 2016
Unless you are keeping this around for a legacy program or hardware compatibility, I just not sure it would be worth any level of headache to get this thing to run (and wait on). Even a humble 3/4th gen office refurb would run absolute circles around this machine, would be capable of W10 and make good use of the SSD.
Yeah I know, I know it's just that sweet nostalgia nothing more. I wanna make it work because after all those years the components are still functional which is amazing.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yeah I know, I know it's just that sweet nostalgia nothing more. I wanna make it work because after all those years the components are still functional which is amazing.

Years ago I had put a Pentium based Dell with the 1c/2t at my mother's house just to keep her internet connection alive. This past year (or so, it's kind of blur coming out of the pandemic) I placed a 4th gen OptiPlex system there such that it was actually usable. I was going to goof off with W10 on it, but the CPU didn't have prefetch so it wouldn't install.

I listed it on CL as a 'free come get it' system for months and had not one single return hit. I had hoped that someone, somewhere might have had use for it since it still worked fine. IIRC the largest HDD it could see was 80TB, and of course nearly nothing for RAM. In spite of it's operational status, with the lack of interest I put it in the bin.

BreakingDawn

Honorable
Apr 26, 2016
Years ago I had put a Pentium based Dell with the 1c/2t at my mother's house just to keep her internet connection alive. This past year (or so, it's kind of blur coming out of the pandemic) I placed a 4th gen OptiPlex system there such that it was actually usable. I was going to goof off with W10 on it, but the CPU didn't have prefetch so it wouldn't install.

I listed it on CL as a 'free come get it' system for months and had not one single return hit. I had hoped that someone, somewhere might have had use for it since it still worked fine. IIRC the largest HDD it could see was 80TB, and of course nearly nothing for RAM. In spite of it's operational status, with the lack of interest I put it in the bin.

I see, well imma make it work just for the laughs of it, I mean it's not going to be that hard, I suppose by tomorrow ill be able to get some signal on my new monitor with that vga-dvi adaptor sooo it will be settled! I hope so at least !

Yoooo guys, hope y'all doing fine!!!! Recently i decided to upgrade my ancient old pc, just to bring ir some life y'know.
So here's the thing, I switched my old HDD( 2003- Western Digital) with a new HDD 1Tb for storage and bought an SSD for the os
Still debating whether I should install windows 7 or 10 on that pentium D 945 lo.
The thing is, the old hdd was ide, new ones are sata but when they connect on the computer the hdd led doesn't power on. In addition, my GPU seems to not giving signal to my monitor, i am using an hdmi cable but i am debating whether i should connect with a dvi one coz there are no drivers or anything installed, dang i mean i can't even open it and install windows... So yeah these are my 2 problems right now .. Any ideas how I should proceed?

P.S: the components work 100%
Mobo is : GA-8l945GL-P
New SSD+HDD: Patriot 256+ 1TB WD Blue 7200
GPU: AMD Radeon HD6670

Sorry if this is not the correct thread!!!!!
You might want to add a new bios bat to your list.

BreakingDawn

Honorable
Apr 26, 2016

Hey, so I got my adaptor today but still I am not able to get anything past the black screen on, any idea what's going on?

Tried powering the old hdd but it won't give signal at all.