Question Legion 15ACH6H - keyboard replacement problem

Nov 20, 2023
Hello there,
around a week ago, a keyboard on my Legion started malfunctioning - some keys weren't working properly. I ordered two new keyboards (only keyboards, not the whole top cover), but after connecting them only backlight works - the keys don't. The old keyboard still works when I connect it but it really needs to be replaced. What can be the issue? The two new keyboards have the same part numbers as the old one. Have any of you replaced such keyboards? Does anyone have any idea what can be the problem here?

Hello there,
around a week ago, a keyboard on my Legion started malfunctioning - some keys weren't working properly. I ordered two new keyboards (only keyboards, not the whole top cover), but after connecting them only backlight works - the keys don't. The old keyboard still works when I connect it but it really needs to be replaced. What can be the issue? The two new keyboards have the same part numbers as the old one. Have any of you replaced such keyboards? Does anyone have any idea what can be the problem here?
Go back and make sure that you have reconnected all the necessary cables, etc. correctly and firmly. Keyboard replacements can be a pickle sometimes because of how the cables are routed and can often come loose during re-assembly.

It's interesting that you were able to source just the keyboard since it's integrated all into the upper cover.

Nov 20, 2023
Go back and make sure that you have reconnected all the necessary cables, etc. correctly and firmly. Keyboard replacements can be a pickle sometimes because of how the cables are routed and can often come loose during re-assembly.

It's interesting that you were able to source just the keyboard since it's integrated all into the upper cover.
That's what I've tried already. Everything that I touched: reseated and checked if properly connected. It still doesn't work.

Yeah, normally it's the whole C-cover, but keyboard without cover can also be found :)

Nov 20, 2023
Makes me wonder if the connectors might be different somehow or possibly there is something between it and the cover that senses it's there but that would be a far stretch.
Well, to the naked eye they look exactly the same. I don't think there's some kind of "sensor", sounds impossible

Nov 20, 2023
Well, none of the cables look broken. Guess it could be such a bad luck that two keyboards from two different sources have a broken ribbon, not visible to the eye :p

Well, none of the cables look broken. Guess it could be such a bad luck that two keyboards from two different sources have a broken ribbon, not visible to the eye :p
It is certainly possible. The smaller of the 2 cables controls and gives power to the backlight for the keyboard and of course the larger controls the keys.

For kicks and giggles, have you tried hooking up an external keyboard just to make sure that it functions correctly?

Nov 20, 2023
Yeah, the external keyboard works flawless.

Found a fix, the problem was with the BIOS. I had to backflash to the older version, keyboard started working, then updated to the newest version and it still works.