Question Legion 5 15ARH05H Type-C Video Output Stopped Working

Jan 9, 2024
I have a Legion 5 15ARH05H laptop. Specs shows that type-c is capable of video output.

https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sy..._5_15ARH05H/Lenovo_Legion_5_15ARH05H_Spec.pdf

I was always able to use it for portable monitors until earlier today. I unplugged the cable of my portable monitor from the type-c port of the laptop few hours ago. When I plugged it back after about 45 minutes later, it cannot detect any of my portable monitors after. My portable monitor cannot receive any signal. HDMI port is still working and is the one connected to my main monitor. I tried different cables to no avail. The portable monitors I use are all tested working today using different laptops, smart phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 9) and tablet (Tab S8 Ultra). No new settings were changed. All drivers are on latest update (2024/01/02). Lenovo Vantage Hardware Scan did not detect any defect or issue. Device Manager was checked no drivers issue. USB controller was restarted but, issue still persists.What I find strange is that the type-c port of my Legion 5 15ARH05H laptop is still working on data transfer. I am still able to use type-c hub and transfer files back and forth via USB flash drives and external 2.5 HDD. It is only the display capability that stopped working today.

Jan 9, 2024
What are these portable monitors?

Try disconnecting power completely or what ever needs to be done for these portable monitors to do a power cycle reset.
Two Uperfect 2K 16" Monitors one is 120Hz and the other is 60Hz. I also have Next Dock Touch . I disconnected the power an all cables in my monitors and my Legion 5 15ARH05H. I also disabled the battery connection in the bios and completely discharged the laptop by pressing and holding the power button while the power in disconnected to no avail.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Have you tried flipping USBc cable? I mean turning the plug around. I guess you wouldn't keep tabs which way it went in so 50/50 chance of doing the same or different.

I mentioning that because sometimes plugging phones for charging can wear out contacts, turning the plug around can remedy that, well as far as charging goes, might be same for anything else USBc plug related.

Jan 9, 2024
Have you tried flipping USBc cable? I mean turning the plug around. I guess you wouldn't keep tabs which way it went in so 50/50 chance of doing the same or different.
Yes I did and tried several type-c cables that came with my portable monitor but it is still the same. Even the 10Gbps 100 watt type-c cables stopped working. All of my type-c cables are working to my a lot older Dell Inspiron that I bought way back 2019. My laptop was not overused nor abused. I always keep tabs of the thermals and air flow. Using it mainly for work, minor video editing and casual gaming. Everything else is working in my Lenovo except that type-c display output w/c is really weird

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Try reinstall drivers for graphics processing units and motherboard devices. Just in case Windows updates installed and overrode something.

Graphics processing units subsection lists two VGA drivers, Nvidia and Amd. Can ignore GFE (Geforce Experience). Do you have an Nvidia gpu? If you do can try newer driver from Geforce/drivers and do manual search then input fields. Reinstalling driver via clean install option. Amd would have similar if search your Amd processor model + driver in search engine, if that's what you have instead.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024
Try reinstall drivers for graphics processing units and motherboard devices. Just in case Windows updates installed and overrode something.

Graphics processing units subsection lists two VGA drivers, Nvidia and Amd. Can ignore GFE (Geforce Experience). Do you have an Nvidia gpu? If you do can try newer driver from Geforce/drivers and do manual search then input fields. Reinstalling driver via clean install option. Amd would have similar if search your Amd processor model + driver in search engine, if that's what you have instead.

My laptop has two:
1. AMD Radeon Graphics 448SP Mobile
2. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Mobile
Will try installing them manually and see it it works.

Searching further it seems Lenovo units have this issue.

Lots of Lenovo laptops have USB-C issues, but there's a fix
https://www.windowscentral.com/lots-lenovo-laptops-have-usb-c-issues-theres-fix

Nearly all ThinkPads have defective USB-C ports: What to do now
By Phillip Tracy
published 23 January 2020
https://www.tomsguide.com/news/nearly-all-thinkpads-have-defective-usb-c-ports-what-to-do-now

Critical Intel Thunderbolt Software and Firmware Updates - ThinkPad
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ca/en/...SmPzOUUkH2VFSMZR2TXA0&cid=ca:affiliate:bw4wpk

Though mine is not included in the list I suspect it might be the reason. I'm hoping it's just a bug and not hardware related. Mine is still under warranty but is about to expire.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If there have been similar issues recorded with other models I'd say yours is most likely faulty as well. It is strange for USBc to just go out like that, not usually because of software. I reckon not beat around the bush and contact them for warranty claim before it ends. Or at least see what they say.

Jan 9, 2024
If there have been similar issues recorded with other models I'd say yours is most likely faulty as well. It is strange for USBc to just go out like that, not usually because of software. I reckon not beat around the bush and contact them for warranty claim before it ends. Or at least see what they say.
Yeah I guess I'll go for replacement since this is still under warranty. I want to make user 1srt it aint any software or user error.

Jan 16, 2024
I have a Legion 5-15ARH05H Laptop - Type 82B1 [Ryzen 4800H & NVidia RTX 2060]

According to the manual it supports Display Port 1.2 via USB C and that's connected to the 2060.

I am trying to connect to a new monitor using a USB C to Display Port cable, and it does not work. I get a message "Display connection might be limited" pop up from the toolbar when I plug the cable in, and the monitor is not detected at all.

I've ruled out the monitor and cable through testing. I've updated bios, tried old drivers from Lenovo website and new drivers. Nothing works.

Odd that you have had a problem recently on same laptop and I note from your post that you had updates quite recently.

I've not used usb c on this machine before so I don't know if it's always been faulty or just coincidence and it is broken by a recent update.

Did you solve the problem?