Legislator Makes First Moves To Regulate In-Game Purchases

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuhndj67

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017
Sweet... maybe with enough countries and localities creating law around these practices it'll get so expensive for companies to comply that the whole crappy idea will die the ignoble death it deserves.

phobicsq

Prominent
Sep 1, 2017
Ugh, loot boxes aren't the only issue. It's the model that publishers have been using for years now which is releasing a 60 dollar game unfinished and then making people pay money for unlockable content. The season passes and skins are all the same.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I disagree that lootboxes are like gambling. In gambling you put your money in and run the chance of losing all of said money. With lootboxes, you put your money in and purchase an item (either ingame money, a loot box that grants a different item, a key, some kind of boost effect, etc.) The loot box model is way closer to a Magic the Gathering (or similar random card booster pack) model. Someone could buy boxes of booster packs and never get the rare (or even common) card they want to get.

My point is, this system is not new to video games or child entertainment and the government regulating it now will have far reaching consquences in other gaming related industries.

It would be far better [imho] for people to start wallet voting instead of tossing money at games with these practices.

ohnen117

Prominent
Dec 7, 2017
Good. I'm sick of these games not disclosing the chances you have to get certain items. There should also be some sort of code verification system in place that can confirm the code isn't being manipulated on a daily bases against the player to produce profits.

realdealbearsfan

Prominent
Dec 7, 2017
this is all fine and dandy but as soon as the greedy gaming companies start slipping brown envelopes full of money his way he'll change his stanceAMERICAN CAPITALISM at its best,its ruined everything in the entertainment dept.Look at the NHL,NFL ect ect.i paid $130 for this star wars game and thats not enough in these greedy pigs minds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS