Question Lenovo G550 ram upgradisng issues

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Hey yall, first time in my life I'm having such problems with a laptop and I'm hoping to get some help here.
I'm trying to put some life into that old thing, replaced hdd with ssd, cleaned ouside and inside and replaced thermal paste, was considering replacing cpu from 2 to 4 core one but gave up when found the price is over 100$.
Tried supposedly matching dd3 2x4gb pc12800 g.skill both normal and low profile but laptop won't boot with either, clearing cmos after swapping doesn fix it.
Any ideas why this piece of junk won't accept new ram? My entire life only thing that mattered was correct ddr and while mhz are lower then what I found it should simply run it at at lower mhz, maybe even not detect capacity (again supposedly 8gb) but still run. Not sure if the same is with low profile but I tried both 1.5v and 135v with same effect.
It boots only with default nanya 2gb+1gb pc-8500s, should I consider getting that and if so will pc-8500 work or it must be 8500s?

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Kind thanks Lutfij that notched me in the right direction, didn't have that kind of sticks on my box of scraps pulled from other laptops so I had to order and they took their sweet time.

Sticks did not works from the get go though same as with previous I tried. Piece of junk simply would not boot no matter the configuration of sticks or clearing cmos.

However when I was about to give up, switched back to default sticks and thought of returning newly purchased ones, default nanya sticks also stopped working ...
Few more stick swaps and cmos clears and I was able to boot with them again and upon one more try new ones finally triggered too.

Anyway thanks again I managed to do what I was aiming, I'd say I learned something knew at least but that's not the case. I still have no idea what or why happened here. It reminds me of unlocking dev menu in android phones almost. I guess I had to clear cmos 7 times in a row to unlock ram replacement -_-