Lenovo IdeaCentre Horizon 27 Review: Our First Table PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgadadish

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
My only question is why not Haswell?? with all it's benefits for mobility where are the portable with the processor...

stupiduser

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
As reported on Slashdot IT - "defence agencies of key Western governments such as Australia, the US, Britain, Canada and New Zealand have banned Lenovo gear from being used in sensitive areas, because of concerns that the Chinese vendor has been leaving back doors in its devices for the Chinese Government."

I wish Tom's would aim their incredible testing abilities at these types of claims. I would like to know if MY Lenova is making me vulnerable.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You're right, if we treat this as a huge tablet or an IPC, it looks pretty good. Thanks!

I'm a help desk technician and I'll tell you one thing that I've learned about mobile graphics cards in all-in-one PCs; they are a very bad idea. Just yesterday I had the pleasure of troubleshooting a 4-5 year old Dell all-in-one, which had a problem with the video going black for thirty seconds at a time. I of course attempted to upgrade the video drivers, and found out that neither Dell nor nVidia had ever updated the drivers. I believe the computer originally shipped with Vista 32 bit but was advertised as being Windows 7 upgradeable. I base this opinion on the reviews that I read about the machine, and also on the fact that it had both a Windows Vista and Windows 7 logo sticker on it. Dell's site didn't have any drivers newer than 2009 and nVidia's own auto video driver detection application couldn't identify the video card. In conclusion, I think using a mobile video card in a like this size is lame. But I do applaud Lenovo for trying out new ideas. I would have more faith in the form factor if a company like Samsung was behind it. Also, I should mention that I'm typing this very review on my Lenovo X230.

Lenovo X230
i7 ivy bridge processor
16 GB RAM
500 GB 7200 rpm drive
HD4000 integrated graphics
* connected to one external Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24" monitor.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

It's about as long and wide as an oversized carry-on bag. Which means you may get it past the gate, or not, depending on how strict the airline staff is being at that gate. And you'd want something to protect the screen.

Marlin Schwanke

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
Buying budget priced gear from any Asian company is a crap shoot. I don't think Samsung, Acer, Asus or Lenovo have very good customer service. They all just shift product out the door and start working on the next one.

magic couch

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Anyone else find it strange how in the photoshop CS6 test enabling OpenCL actually slowed down the rendering for the Dell tablepc? What's up with that?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Certain filters are threaded, and others are OpenCL-enabled. So OpenCL and CPU-only tests are different.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
These monster screen thingies are awesome. Most likely the future (for airplane entertainment awesomeness). Reminds me of the (fake) old Microsoft Surface commercial.

Why have a PC? Just buy a big a## table.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Maybe, but they'd need CPU and SSD upgrades to appeal to a wider market.

magic couch

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011

Ahh, I thought it used both as I've seen some reviews on this website where software uses the cpu and gpu accelerated openCL together.

Also a weird thing I've noticed is that in this article 7zip hands down beats every other program in both file compression time and size, yet in articles such as this one winrar is faster by a factor of over 2. Why is there such a discrepency? The articles are even using the same versions of the program.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The would be a great question for our developer. I think the command line switches outlined in the "test setup" page might provide the answer, but only if I knew what those switches meant :p

magic couch

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011

Maybe, but that seems really strange. I know 7z is multithreaded.

magic couch

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011

I don't think that's the explanation. In this benchmark the I7 3930K isn't really faster than the I7 4770K in winrar yet in 7zip the I7 3930K is quite a bit faster than the I7 4770K.

Sep 23, 2013
My only criticisms will be about the keyboard it's too small for me, the rest looks fantastic, I say this because I have a similar model and the keyboard indeed is very small, something that can be replace if we want.

Status
Not open for further replies.