[SOLVED] Lenovo Ideapad 330s

milehigh

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2015
My laptop's CPU has a base speed of 2 GHz. However, I see that it's only running at around 1.5. Is this normal? I would think it would always be at least at the base.

Solution

A cpu only boosts as high as it is needed to at that point in time. It's odd that your desktop is stuck at 4ghz but your laptop is doing exactly as it's supposed to be doing.

Another thing to consider is that if you see it clocking down when under heavy use this is either because of thermals or because it is reaching it's maxed allow...

milehigh

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2015

It's a Ryzen 5 2500U. System seems to be running fine, but just thought it was weird. On my desktop, it's got a 3.2 GHz, but when I look in the task manager, it's always over 4 Ghz, even at idle.

A cpu only boosts as high as it is needed to at that point in time. It's odd that your desktop is stuck at 4ghz but your laptop is doing exactly as it's supposed to be doing.

Another thing to consider is that if you see it clocking down when under heavy use this is either because of thermals or because it is reaching it's maxed allow power consumption or a combination of both. The max allowd power consumption gets triggered a lot quicker when the gpu is in use since the cpu and gpu are on the same die since this is an apu.

Solution
Laptops perform differently when plugged in or when on battery.
On battery, performance is lowered to improve battery run time.
Check your windows power options.
There will be max and minimum settings for both battery and plugged in.

Also, when there is little to do, speedstep will lower the multiplier.

milehigh

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2015

Thanks. My desktop doesn't always stay at 4 GHz, but I've never seen it go below it's base speed. Anyway, I tried changing my power settings like Geo mentioned below. I see that stupid MS removed all the other settings in Windows, and only 'balanced' is available. I believe there is only the balanced plan visible on my desktop, too, which I find stupid because it's a gaming PC. I figured it'd be set to high perf. by default.

I see the workround is to create my own power plan, based on the high perf. template. I just did that, and now the CPU is running closer to 2 GHz. Probably doesn't make much difference since I'm just using this laptop for web browsing, but thought it was odd.