[SOLVED] Lenovo IdeaPad Miix 320-10icr, installing Windows is a nightmare.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I Mess With Windows

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Hi.
So the title says it all!
I got two of these tablets. If I install Windows from a USB, it will just end up having freezes due to missing drivers.
When I try to install the VGA driver the machine just shuts itself down.

I decided to use Lenovo Recovery to get all the drivers, which fixed it but now I am running Windows 10 1703 and I have tried almost everything to update to 21H2.
What do I do?

Solution
I don't know what to say to this except that a moderator on a hardware forum should know that this is all <Mod Edit>!
The OS supports all the CPUs Windows 10 did, including Core 2 Duos as I said before, and Windows 11 is even better for them than Windows 10 is!
Win 11 has much more stringent hardware requirements than Win 10.

On the link above, direct from MS, please show us the line where it says a z3850 is a supported CPU.
We'll wait.

There are workarounds to get it working on unsupported hardware, but not by default.

As far as performance? I've not seen ANY difference.

I Mess With Windows

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
But I watch YouTube in 720P (display is 1280x800), so most of the time it works but it's not rare that I have to end stuff.
Actually my Core 2 Duo gets even more affected by that because it has half the amount of cores and threads.
But I'd do anything to keep my vintage looking Dell Inspiron 1520 up and running a modern OS! It has an incredible keyboard and sound card (when using headphones ofc)

I Mess With Windows

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
[UPDATE] In the Windows 10 1703 install Lenovo Recovery gives you, directly on local disk, there is a folder called drivers that contains absolutely all the required drivers for the tablet (there are a lot of them that Windows does not find for you and anything from Lenovo website appeared to just crash Windows, likely due to me installing the VGA driver before some more important stuff).
So I clean installed Windows 11 on the tablet (not only do I want Windows 11 but also Windows 10 would just be impossible to install due to massive graphical glitching), and it looks like it works perfectly.
It's definitely better than my clone-reclone which required me to delete windows.old, clean up winsxs, and a lot of stuff like that all the time.

For now I am no longer experiencing freezes, although I did while installing the drivers and during the Windows install. But again I am pretty sure this was caused by missing drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.