[SOLVED] Lenovo Ideapad Onboard RAM problem

Aug 29, 2020
Hi.
I have been facing a RAM problem on my laptop for a couple of weeks.
I have a Lenovo Ideapad with 8gigs of DDR4 RAM - 4GB Onboard and 4GB Samsung Chip. The Laptop had been working fine for over a year.
Then suddenly one day my laptop started showing that it has only 4gigs RAM. I opened the laptop took the RAM chip out and put it back in properly (Just in case it was loose or something). But still 4gigs of RAM.
I checked in CPUZ it showed the Samsung chip in Slot 1.
wmic memorychip in Command Prompt shows manufacturer as Micron which I believe is of Onboard RAM.
I tried turning on the Laptop without the Samsung chip. It runs fine, so the onboard RAM is also fine.
BIOS only shows 4gigs of RAM.

The problem is that Onboard RAM and the other Chip won't work together.
Help Please!!!

Solution
Sounds like something broke. If you can, I would upgrade to an 8gb module if the laptop can take it and see if that works. If so, great! You have an upgrade and have determined that the old module has failed under warranty.

If 8gb isn't possible, you need another known working 4gb module to swap with the existing one to determine if it is the motherboard or the module that has gone bad.
Sounds like something broke. If you can, I would upgrade to an 8gb module if the laptop can take it and see if that works. If so, great! You have an upgrade and have determined that the old module has failed under warranty.

If 8gb isn't possible, you need another known working 4gb module to swap with the existing one to determine if it is the motherboard or the module that has gone bad.

Solution