Lenovo Intros EE3 Tech for Faster Boot Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Boot defragmentation has been around since XP. Windows 7 does wait to start many system services (called delay start services) and Windows 8 is even more aggressive in delaying non-critical services. Windows 8 also takes the RAM cache trick even further with its hybrid boot feature (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/08/delivering-fast-boot-times-in-windows-8.aspx). Not a lot there after that stuff.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Everyone with even a bit of computer knowledge knows that is is a good idea to have 2 drives. One for system and programs, one for data...

How long until main stream companies offers their systems with a SSD/HDD combination ?

cmartin011

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
to bad couldn't make a operating system on chip. like push a button and its on and then push a button its off all the setting are set back to default and ur files are stored on a separate chip, sorta like BIOS chip for and operating system

spiketheaardvark

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Faster drives are great but I swear bios post times are getting worse not better. I have a dell laptop that takes longer to post than my old 266mhz machine did 15 years ago. It takes almost as long to post as is does to boot windows. Microsoft has been working hard to speed things up but the motherboard folks need to shape up.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
[citation][nom]spiketheaardvark[/nom]Faster drives are great but I swear bios post times are getting worse not better. I have a dell laptop that takes longer to post than my old 266mhz machine did 15 years ago. It takes almost as long to post as is does to boot windows. Microsoft has been working hard to speed things up but the motherboard folks need to shape up.[/citation]
+1. I have a Sandy Bridge build with an M4 that takes longer to POST than boot to the login screen of Windows 7.

dreadlokz

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
I don't have an SSD and my 1 month testing Win 7 HomePremium installed in my old machine, only the HDs is new, a sata III connected to a sata II port boots in 30s!

G

24 seconds too much for me my 3 years old laptop boots Ubuntu in 35 seconds

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
[citation][nom]maedrat[/nom]24 seconds too much for me my 3 years old laptop boots Ubuntu in 35 seconds[/citation]

And my custom arch linux configuration boots to desktop in 2 seconds (no joke, but that is with ssd).

But either way, I don't really see the big deal about boot time.

For me I mostly sleep my computer. Even then, you could just go do something (like get a glass of water) while you wait for the computer to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.