Question Lenovo laptop dual-booting Win10 and WinServer 2019: Going to hibernation takes forever in 10, almost instant in Server. Why?

May 2, 2020
Hi everyone,

I have this Lenovo laptop (a 2011 Edge 15 with the Pentium P6100 CPU and a brand-new set of 2x4GB of DDR3 running @ 1066MHz) where I installed Windows 10 (2004, fully up-to-date) and Windows Server 2019 in dual-boot a while ago.

On both OSes, I run more or less the same programs, and I alternate between the two because Internet Connection Sharing works best in Windows 10 (I connect an old MacBook Pro to access shared folders on the Lenovo), but I'm more pleased with working on the Server (lower overheads, and better battery life, among other things).

The thing is, I use hibernation a lot, and when in Server, going to hibernate will take less than 20 seconds. In Windows 10, it's more like a full minute, sometimes more.

Regardless of the OS I'm on, I have more or less the same quantity of RAM in use when hibernating (around 2.5GB) and I've set both hiberfil.sys files to 100% of the installed RAM in size, to limit RAM compression prior to writing to disk.

Yet, the difference in delay between my pressing the Power button and the PC actually being in hibernation is staggering when I compare Windows 10 and Windows Server 2019.

The number of running processes is around 90 in both cases, usually with no third-party running, only Windows processes and services.

Does anyone know why that happens? Is there some sort of algorithm that rules how Windows puts a PC in hibernation, as in services being shutdown more quickly in Server, or kernel and drivers being written to disk in a certain order, something like that?

Power settings are exactly the same on both OSes.

May 2, 2020
Giving a big up on this thread, in the form of an addendum, because I forgot to mention I have installed ImDisk to create a 1GB RAM disk (FAT32, non-dynamic) on both OSes, and I've noticed one thing: in Process Hacker (run as admin) in Windows 10, the System line shows a few hundred kilobytes of used RAM, whereas in Server, the same line shows close to 1GB.

I suppose that the way System allocates RAM to itself differs from Windows 10 to Windows Server, and since I've set Tweak-SSD to load all system files in RAM on startup, that has an impact on the global amount of used RAM, and how it'll be written to disk prior to hibernating.

However, I don't know how to change or correct that in Windows 10 to mimick Server's behavior.

Ideas, anyone?