[SOLVED] Lenovo Laptop Keyboard

Jan 28, 2021
I love using the Lenovo ThinkPad keyboard because its soft and quite. But I need to upgrade my machine and was wondering if I could use any other Lenovo series than ThinkPad such as IdeaPad, ThinkBook or even Legion and still get the marvelous keyboard of the iconic ThinkPad? Do other laptops use the same keyboard except of course the TrackPoint and two point trackpad, But is the keyboard similar in terms of sound, key travel and key height. Is the mechanism same? Because the keyboard matters to me, I use a mouse anyway so trackpad doesn't.

I want a powerful CPU mainly H series and that is only provided in the P series of ThinkPad but the reviews are terrible for those units. So if there are other options with similar keyboards, please feel free to help out!

Solution
Well - you obviously need something more powerful. However, the keyboard preference can get tricky. If it wasn't for this darn pandemic, I'd suggest you went to a computer warehouse that have laptops for display, so you can try to hit some keys and see if one is the right for you.
Jan 28, 2021
The Thinkpad have being on the marked for many years, what model and year? What kind of use do you need it for?

Well, I am a cybersecurity student enrolled in a university, I have to code a lot and extreme multi-tasking (multiple virtual machines) and I run a YouTube channel as a side hustle so little bit of editing, very light weight though. The problem is my current T460 get choppy when it gets very hot because I run if for very long hours and it has a U series core so yes it would do that. Sensible choice would be going for a workstation but I cant figure out because all the reviews I read on P series on not very satisfactory. A 5 - 10% chance of faulty unit according to the total reviews I have read.

Well - you obviously need something more powerful. However, the keyboard preference can get tricky. If it wasn't for this darn pandemic, I'd suggest you went to a computer warehouse that have laptops for display, so you can try to hit some keys and see if one is the right for you.

Reactions: Baqir Abbas
Solution
Jan 28, 2021
I was wondering if anyone might have an idea but thanks anyway. Appreciate your response! :)

I was wondering if anyone might have an idea but thanks anyway.
Well - it's kind of same ball park if you have a good big SUV, and asking how to be able to stack more luggage inside when it's already full.

If money is the issue, you may be able to increase perceived performance by installing more RAM. But you must figure what memory that fit in that particular computer. That - however is only recommended if you think it's worth keeping the machine and if everything still is in working condition.

Have you considering using an external keyboard ?

Jan 28, 2021
Well - it's kind of same ball park if you have a good big SUV, and asking how to be able to stack more luggage inside when it's already full.

If money is the issue, you may be able to increase perceived performance by installing more RAM. But you must figure what memory that fit in that particular computer. That - however is only recommended if you think it's worth keeping the machine and if everything still is in working condition.

Have you considering using an external keyboard ?

Well thanks for your input.
I did look into external keyboards but then I found out what I was looking for.

Lenovo ThinkPad T15p. It has all the things I literally want in a laptop.
Intel H series processor ( i5 10th gen, its the lowest spec )
Integrated/Dedicated Graphics ( I'll go with integrated, a little cheaper because its already too expensive & if I need more performance ill later pair it with external GPU thanks to TB3 and and H series processor will be able to sustain the load)
15.6" inch 1920*1080 display ( to get a decent battery timing )
And ofc the main issue ThinkPad Keyboard with backlight
And the other thing I was wishing, A THUNDERBOLT 3 for versatility) tho its quite expensive

Another option is the Lenovo ThinkPad E15 Gen 2, it just rolled out with 11th Gen processor with Xe Graphics but I wouldn't buy it straight away, I don't know if its reliable so would wait at least an year. The T15p is an year old now and no serious issues with that laptop, except its expensive as hell.

I wanted to go with P series but the reviews are quite terrible. There are good ones a lot more than bad ones but what if my model turns out faulty too. Yeah I understand its a very minor chance but I wouldn't take that risk especially if I have an option with somewhat similar performance and a slimmer chance of faulty unit.

At last thanks anyway for assisting me. Cheers! ✌✌

Last edited: