Review Lenovo Legion 9i Gen 8 Review: The King of 16-inch Gaming Laptops

Dec 23, 2022
Ever since the first gaming laptop, there have been people commenting on how impractical and a poor value these things are. While this is true for many people, there's obviously a market or they wouldn't keep making them.

I travel a ton. It's true you can't pull these things out in an airline seat, but when you're stuck in a hotel for a third of your life it's a godsend. I have a nice desktop PC at home, but having a house and family to take care of it doesn't get used as much as my gaming laptop. I can play Microsoft Flight Simulator, one of the most demanding games in existence, at full settings with my game controller and head tracking, and it's a smooth and fun experience. I can run any game out there and it runs and looks great. As far as screen size, when I was a kid a 17" CRT was a thing to brag about.

I do pretty well for myself these days, so I have a desktop, a gaming laptop, an ultrabook, and even a Steam Deck, but if I could only have one PC, it would be a gaming laptop. Considering the cost divided by how much more of my time I can spend with it, it's the best value and most practical PC someone like me can get.

Reactions: Tom Sunday

newtechldtech

Notable
Sep 21, 2022
I don’t think that any decent gaming can be done on a laptop! And portability for many will not save the day! I wonder how the Legion will feel on my cost-to-coast airline trip and gaming on a touchpad. Also gaming laptops have historically been running hot in your lap! A RTX 4090 in a laptop is not the same as the desktop version along with the huge spec differences in the Legions mini built-in liquid-cooling system and auxiliary fans, etc. Then gaming on a 16-inch screen is a joke these days and with that a 34 inch widescreen monitor needs considering and funds added. True gaming PC systems today should also ‘automatically’ come with a dedicated 4TB SSD. Steam libraries are getting bigger and bigger everyday! Including sales tax for the Legion laptop, the extra monitor and the storage upgrade will now easily run up to $5000. Just imagine what we as enthusiasts can do and fun will have with a cool $5000 in our pockets and ready to blow?

Today high end gaming laptops are the same speed of two years ago top end DESKTOPS. your argument is false. and most people who pay for expensive laptops actually have both a high end desktop and a high end laptop.

and gaming on a 16 inch is not a joke , and every five stars hotel has 4k TV that can be used with your laptops for gaming when you travel around.

it is all about if you can pay for it or not , not as you said a "joke"