[SOLVED] Lenovo Legion Y740 Minecraft Performance

Sep 13, 2019
Hi, i've been hearing that Minecraft sometimes under performs on overkill laptops. I am thinking about buying an Lenovo Legion Y740 with i7-9750H, RTX 2060, 16g of RAM and 1 TB of SSD. And I was wondering what performance I can expect/ If i do have issues what would be some fixes.

Thanks In Advance

Solution
I imagine the reason people have trouble with the game is for 2 reasons:

1)Gaming laptops are a gimmick, and most who own one eventually run into issues keeping the things cool - invest in a cooling pad from the get go.
The higher-end the parts, the harder it will be to cool. There's only so much that can be done when running a higher power consuming cpu + gpu in such a cramped space.

2)People have trouble getting the blasted game to run on the discreet gpu - it only seems to want to run on the igpu, which will kill performance.
There's something stupid happening with the 'Switchable Graphics Driver' on these units. It's supposed to switchover from the igpu to the gpu whenever you start up a game, but it doesn't do this for certain...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

1)Gaming laptops are a gimmick, and most who own one eventually run into issues keeping the things cool - invest in a cooling pad from the get go.
The higher-end the parts, the harder it will be to cool. There's only so much that can be done when running a higher power consuming cpu + gpu in such a cramped space.

2)People have trouble getting the blasted game to run on the discreet gpu - it only seems to want to run on the igpu, which will kill performance.
There's something stupid happening with the 'Switchable Graphics Driver' on these units. It's supposed to switchover from the igpu to the gpu whenever you start up a game, but it doesn't do this for certain titles...
By a long shot, Minecraft pops up often, every now and then, it'll be GTA V.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to fix it. What usually works on desktops doesn't seem to work:
-Remove old gpu drivers with DDU and reinstall the newest from the laptop manufacturer
-In either Radeon Settings or Nvidia Optimus/Control Panel, set the application exe. to run on the gpu.

Solution
Sep 13, 2019

There's something stupid happening with the 'Switchable Graphics Driver' on these units. It's supposed to switchover from the igpu to the gpu whenever you start up a game, but it doesn't do this for certain titles...
By a long shot, Minecraft pops up often, every now and then, it'll be GTA V.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to fix it. What usually works on desktops doesn't seem to work:
-Remove old gpu drivers with DDU and reinstall the newest from the laptop manufacturer
-In either Radeon Settings or Nvidia Optimus/Control Panel, set the application exe. to run on the gpu.
Thank you