[SOLVED] Lenovo M700 tower fitted with Nvidia GT630 gpu, starts up with screen output on vga or hdmi connector, GPU fan spins...

Mewpman

Commendable
Jul 19, 2021
Hello all,
I know the above GPU isn't going to win any plaudits, but...
I have had this gpu work fine in an old Dell XPS 525T and recently a HP PRO 3125 mt. I have just aquired the M700 lenovo tower and cannot get any joy from it once the gpu is fitted. Even connecting a vga to the mobo with the card fitted has no display.
Once the card is removed the mobo vga works.
Any advice would be great please.

cheers Mewpman.

Solution
Lenovos of that vintage enforce a Whitelist so will only boot with the correct Lenovo branded FRU (Field Replaceable Unit) cards.

The M700 could be factory equipped with Quadro K420 or GT720, and those are indeed the only approved replacement service parts available.

If your GT630 is Kepler and not Fermi (that is, it has 192 or 384 shaders), then it could be as simple as editing the DeviceID string in the vBIOS with KeplerBiosTweaker to match one of the approved GT720 cards. Might work on the Fermi version too (with FermiBiosEditor), though that would be like making a fake card so Windows may keep trying to install a newer, incompatible driver (the last driver to support Fermi was 391.35)

Alternately, there is a...
I would first start the PC without the discrete GPU, go into the BIOS, check for "Graphics", "Video", "Startup GPU" or "Default GPU" (or similar) and make sure its set on "Auto". Save settings on BIOS and exit.

If you find the option and were able to set on Auto, then turn off the PC, insert the GT630 and try it.

Mewpman

Commendable
Jul 19, 2021
Hello again, i can't see a tab to add photos. The Lenovo M700 has a 250 watt PSU(intel i5 6400). The HP PRO 3125 has a 300 watt psu (amd athlon x2).
would 50 watts make a difference?

Hello again, i can't see a tab to add photos. The Lenovo M700 has a 250 watt PSU(intel i5 6400). The HP PRO 3125 has a 300 watt psu (amd athlon x2).
would 50 watts make a difference?

It shouldnt, not for a GT630 and a core i5 6400.

The only thing I can think about it is some kind of BIOS limitation or something wrong with the actual pcie socket on the mobo.

Perhaps you could check for a BIOS update - keeping in mind that a bad BIOS update will probably turn your system useless, so make sure you follow the procedure and use the right BIOS version.

Lenovos of that vintage enforce a Whitelist so will only boot with the correct Lenovo branded FRU (Field Replaceable Unit) cards.

The M700 could be factory equipped with Quadro K420 or GT720, and those are indeed the only approved replacement service parts available.

If your GT630 is Kepler and not Fermi (that is, it has 192 or 384 shaders), then it could be as simple as editing the DeviceID string in the vBIOS with KeplerBiosTweaker to match one of the approved GT720 cards. Might work on the Fermi version too (with FermiBiosEditor), though that would be like making a fake card so Windows may keep trying to install a newer, incompatible driver (the last driver to support Fermi was 391.35)

Alternately, there is a motherboard BIOS editing tool called AMIBCP_5020031_Patched which may allow you to change those Whitelist settings from Default to USER

Reactions: Mewpman
Solution

Mewpman

Commendable
Jul 19, 2021
Hi again, I have just tried a dvi lead instead and am getting output ! i think the issue is where the gpu sits on the rear panel the gap doesn't allow full insertion of the hdmi plug, the plastic moulding of the plug touches the rear panel. maybe i'll try and file it to fit? is there any advantage in this ( apart from not having to run an audio lead to the monitor) ?

Hi again, I have just tried a dvi lead instead and am getting output ! i think the issue is where the gpu sits on the rear panel the gap doesn't allow full insertion of the hdmi plug, the plastic moulding of the plug touches the rear panel. maybe i'll try and file it to fit? is there any advantage in this ( apart from not having to run an audio lead to the monitor) ?

If DVI works then just keep it that way. As long as the resolution and refresh rates are the ones your monitor comes with by default, then it should be fine.

Now if you need the Audio, then it will be a good idea to make room for the HDMI plug to fully insert into the output of the GPU.

Be VERY carefull when working on the case, don't let any metal debris to flyaway and go into or over the motherboard, or any other component (like PSU, GPU, fan, etc.) And of course make sure the PC is OFF and the power cable is disconneted from the wall outlet.

TRENDING THREADS