Question Lenovo PC is lagging and CPU drops to 0.25GHz ?

Jun 22, 2024
PC model: Lenovo Legion T7-34IMZ5 - Type 90Q8 Tower PC from 2021.

As of last week or so, I experienced a sudden lag (started with a Steam gaming dropping to low fps/stuttering). The whole PC performs slow now regardless of what I'm doing, there's a 10-20 second lag just from opening File Explorer. The CPU speed spikes all over the place and drops down to 0.25 GHz and stays there and then will suddenly go back up for a minute or two. I've been monitoring the temperature and everythign looks fine and it's not overheating. Typically, the first boot up of the day is fast and the the PC seems to be fast again for 5 minutes or so before going back to the horrible lag.

Intel i7-11700k
NVIDIA RTX 3070
16GB Ram
1 TB SSD
650W PSU

Things I've tried already:
  • Fresh Windows 11 install, via local and USB
  • Reapplied thermal paste on the CPU
  • Replaced the CPU with a new one
  • Reslotted RAM
  • Ran a bunch of different diagnostic tests, nothing ever came up with a hardware error
  • Updated BIOS
I'm totally stumped, any other ideas? Any help/advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Colif

Win 11 Master
what is it like in safe mode?

so its not CPU since you replaced it...

what make/model ssd? i guess you might not know, if it came with unit.
It sounds to me like its the ssd since there aren't many other parts that would cause it.
could try this though it just tests speed - https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6014-as-ssd-benchmark.html
crystaldiskinfo just reads smart score (blue icons) - https://crystalmark.info/en/

upload images to imgur and show here unless its obviously not the cause:

Last edited:
PC model: Lenovo Legion T7-34IMZ5 - Type 90Q8 Tower PC from 2021.

As of last week or so, I experienced a sudden lag (started with a Steam gaming dropping to low fps/stuttering). The whole PC performs slow now regardless of what I'm doing, there's a 10-20 second lag just from opening File Explorer. The CPU speed spikes all over the place and drops down to 0.25 GHz and stays there and then will suddenly go back up for a minute or two. I've been monitoring the temperature and everythign looks fine and it's not overheating. Typically, the first boot up of the day is fast and the the PC seems to be fast again for 5 minutes or so before going back to the horrible lag.

Intel i7-11700k
NVIDIA RTX 3070
16GB Ram
1 TB SSD
650W PSU

Things I've tried already:
  • Fresh Windows 11 install, via local and USB
  • Reapplied thermal paste on the CPU
  • Replaced the CPU with a new one
  • Reslotted RAM
  • Ran a bunch of different diagnostic tests, nothing ever came up with a hardware error
  • Updated BIOS
I'm totally stumped, any other ideas? Any help/advice is appreciated. Thank you!

try this go into display settings/graphics/ ( change default graphics) turn off hardware accelerated gpu scheduling.

this has plagued some pcs using nvidia gpus. can cause instability

Jun 22, 2024
try this go into display settings/graphics/ ( change default graphics) turn off hardware accelerated gpu scheduling.

this has plagued some pcs using nvidia gpus. can cause instability
Unfortunately a no go :( Ran a game on Steam and it dropped to 1.25 GHz but still somewhat playable, but as soon as I exited the game and just opened up a browser, it went down to 0.25 GHz again and was lagging like crazy

Jun 22, 2024
i would contact lenovo im pretty sure its a defective board sensor.

last thing i would try is going into bios and putting all bios settings to default.

ive googled around and found similar issues and only issue someone had that was successful was a motherboard swap.
oof yeah that was my next move to consider, swapping out the motherboard. I'll give that a go maybe, thanks for your help!