Lenovo Phab Plus Phablet: You Might Want It, But You Can’t Have It

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
At $750 for a Note 5 vs $299 for the plus, I can't see how Samsung will sustain this price. I mean aren't Amazon / eBay resellers going to solve the North America problem?

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Just doing some spot-checking, I googled "Note 5 Alternatives" and found "Samsung Galaxy Note5 or... ? Here are 8 great alternatives" which had the Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 (supposedly only available in China) and found them on ebay for $200ish

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I have had the not1, note2, and now note4. What prompted me to even look was the fact that Samsung decided to drop "removable battery" and SD card. I don't think I am alone in this thinking.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
Just doing some spot-checking, I googled "Note 5 Alternatives" and found "Samsung Galaxy Note5 or... ? Here are 8 great alternatives" which had the Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 (supposedly only available in China) and found them on ebay for $200ish

Sounds like a listicle. We try to avoid those. ;)

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
At $750 for a Note 5 vs $299 for the plus, I can't see how Samsung will sustain this price. I mean aren't Amazon / eBay resellers going to solve the North America problem?

Samsung thinks iTards will leave the Apple Ecosystem for their Android running iToy clone(see the S6/Note5/Tab S2). They are also banking that those that want an iToy but hate Apple will also flock to their new product line. Even if that were to happen, they lost far more customers due to the changes to the Note 5 and Tab S2.

But they are hardly comparable products. The Note 5 has more faster RAM, better screen, better CPU/GPU, better camera.

It would be hard to justify the price if it was comparable but it is a lower end product.

flashrandom

Reputable
Sep 5, 2015
Ok, Note has faster RAM: faster by 5%? Noticeable?
Better screen? Ok, impossible to note in a 5.5" display.
The same for CPU and GPU, unless you use really demanding games.
Only the better camera remains, but it does not have the SD and the battery is probably worse.
So they are comparable, but Note costs three times the Phab Plus, unbearable.....

The screen can make a difference, not just in pixels but in quality of the screen. Samsung gets praise for their TVs and screens all the time because their panels are better at reproducing vivid colors. I was able to compare and the Galaxy S5 has a much better screen than the HTC One M8 and the S6 is just miles ahead in terms of quality and color.

The CPU makes a difference in more than just power. I can tell you that the pace of the mobile sector is fast as having a mid level setup will bite you sooner than a high level setup. But there are also advantages in the power savings and such. The S6 has a smaller battery than the S5 yet gives the same and in some cases better battery life as the S5 under normal use cases while having much better parts.

DDR4L uses less power than DDR3L. That alone adds to power savings and the performance is just a bonus.

The Note 5 also uses better build materials. While it wont matter to some the Note 5 is a much more premium product than the Lenovo Phab Plus. They are not even comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.