Lenovo Reportedly Working on Windows RT Tablet Too

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the RT tablets would eventually die off if Intel's Medfield (and future SoCs) improved to and beyond ARM's offerings. Then there wouldn't ever be any software compatibility issues thanks to x86, and RT tablets would effectively become fully-fledged PC tablets.

ekho

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
[citation][nom]boiler1990[/nom]I wonder if the RT tablets would eventually die off if Intel's Medfield (and future SoCs) improved to and beyond ARM's offerings. Then there wouldn't ever be any software compatibility issues thanks to x86, and RT tablets would effectively become fully-fledged PC tablets.[/citation]

You are probably wrong.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
This is exactly what Acer should be working on instead of bad mouthing and pissing off Microsoft.

Good for Lenovo for making this!

G

Medfield already beats ARM in many categories and remember this isn't the phone Medfield, this is a dual core clocked up version of Medfield. It is beefier in every way and is also dual core in most models. The isue is price. The ARM tablets can be made cheaper still (slightly) and thus may offer a higher profit, plus, Windows RT is cheaper and those savings are offered to the end user. Of course, then you're stuck with the MS Store if you buy one but that is on you.

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]math1337[/nom]So... a tablet that can't run any windows programs. I'd rather get a droid/iPad.[/citation]
Except a lite version of Office. I wish there was a lite version Office for Windows too. I'd get a Surface Pro even if I have to pay double the price of ARM version.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]math1337[/nom]So... a tablet that can't run any windows programs. I'd rather get a droid/iPad.[/citation]

Bit of a silly statement when it's not even out yet or reviewed.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
From experience the many fragmented android version that are using in tablets today are crap most of the time. Don't run smoothly, aren't optimized or efficient. Windows 8 will change all of that to make a tablet that can be considered a true competitor to the iPad - possibly even better (The Pro tablet at least).

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
"10-inch 1366 x 768 IPS HD display, an Atom processor" - No thanks, phones have a better resolution and Intel has better processor than a freaking Atom. Im assuming its x86 based because if its not, wow, there are WAY better processors that are less power hungry than an atom. THIS is where AMD should be putting a flag down and claiming it as their territory. Cant compete with Intel on mid to high end but products like this would be perfect for their APUs.

ashesofempires04

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Medfield is a new generation of Atom, and it's a quantum leap forward in performance and efficiency. RT may not be everything that the x86 version is, but it's definitely going to be usable. People complaining about not having access to their old shit are being pretty narrow minded, especially when you consider that you still have to pay for apps for an android or i-device.

It's also baffling as to why news sites think that just because Microsoft is releasing their own tablet, that other companies aren't going to bother. I mean, google has its own tablet, and yet plenty of others make android tablets. The licensing for Win8 isn't even all that expensive, it's something like 35 bucks for RT, and IIRC it's less for x86 because the full copy doesn't include Office software or WMP.

G

Yeah, the sisoft benchmarks are interesting because they are native. Shows even a single core Medfield is very competitive. I wonder how things change using Windws instead of Android which still needs a lot of tuning for the x86 platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.