Lenovo Server X restoring a HW RAID 0 backup image (single drive)

aelkman

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014
I have a single drive HW RAID 0 setup that I set up on a data center (Lenovo Server X platform) RAID 0. I backed it up and then tried booting off of the backup drive, but when I reinitialize the RAID 0 setup, it formats the drive as part of the array setup.

What I want to do is boot off of the image and restore the RAID 0 setup properly without clearing the drive (which makes obvious problems).

I read somewhere that you can use the Windows repair to restore the RAID but I'm wondering if that is only for a SW RAID, and not for HW RAID? Is restoring a HW RAID 0 image from a backup not possible?

Solution
If you made a FULL image of the ENTIRE RAID Volume you should be good. You may have to take another PC, install Macrium on it, and make the Recovery USB/DVD Drive. Then remove the current RAID 0 drives (If you want to test first) and add in a standalone drive or two other drives. Usually, even with one drive, you still have to make a RAID volume even with a single drive. Just make a RAID 0 volume with just the one drive. Then boot off the Macrium Rescue disk/usb drive. Plug in the drive that you have your image on (assuming it is on an external. if not best to move it to an external) and then restore that image to your new RAID 0 drive and try to boot from it. The new Macrium Reflect uses Windows 10 as the Windows PE Version so you...

aelkman

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014

I backed it up, and because I removed the drive, it messed up the RAID, then I needed to reinitialize the RAID but it wouldn't let me without formatting the drive.

Is there a way to restore a HW RAID setup from a backed up drive and preserve the data?

If all you did was remove the drive and not do anything else with either hard drive it should just detect it and go back to how it was.

If it isn't detecting it for whatever reason the question is does your backup boot? You said you tested it but didn't confirm if it did or not.

If it does work you can just reinitilize the raid and then restore the backup. How as the backup made though?

aelkman

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014

I made an image using Macrium Reflect... I haven't tested it on another machine but I can certainly try. Do I need to backup using a special RAID imager?

If you made a FULL image of the ENTIRE RAID Volume you should be good. You may have to take another PC, install Macrium on it, and make the Recovery USB/DVD Drive. Then remove the current RAID 0 drives (If you want to test first) and add in a standalone drive or two other drives. Usually, even with one drive, you still have to make a RAID volume even with a single drive. Just make a RAID 0 volume with just the one drive. Then boot off the Macrium Rescue disk/usb drive. Plug in the drive that you have your image on (assuming it is on an external. if not best to move it to an external) and then restore that image to your new RAID 0 drive and try to boot from it. The new Macrium Reflect uses Windows 10 as the Windows PE Version so you should be good on drivers if not you may have to find the drivers for the RAID card just in case. If they don't have windows 10 anything that is Vista and up and as long as it matches 64/32 bit version of the Macrium you made (defaults to the same as what ever you system is) you should be able to load them.

Testing it on another machine will only work if that PC's RAID card uses the same driver as the server it was imaged from.

Solution