News Lenovo Showcases Concept Laptop With Rollable Display

InvalidError

Titan
I think rollable displays have a much brighter future than foldable ones: rolls provide a far more easily controllable and softer bend radius that shouldn't cause creases to appear at the fold from repeat fold-unfold cycles. Dirt getting in the roll also shouldn't cause as much damage as dirt caught in a fold and its hinge mechanism.

Reactions: KyaraM
Seeing it unroll upwards is so weird, but cool to see, haha.

I definitely like the concept and I hope this gets some traction in mainstream laptops first, since I'd imagine these panels will come with big trade-offs for content creators and gamers.

Also, some side-ways expansion may be good as well? XD

Regards.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I think rollable displays have a much brighter future than foldable ones: rolls provide a far more easily controllable and softer bend radius that shouldn't cause creases to appear at the fold from repeat fold-unfold cycles. Dirt getting in the roll also shouldn't cause as much damage as dirt caught in a fold and its hinge mechanism.
There will be no crease, but you will need some sort of durable sliding mechanism to help extend the screen beyond the chassis and keep the thin panel straight. So I am pretty sure the panel technology will introduce other challenges/ limitations.

Seeing it unroll upwards is so weird, but cool to see, haha.

I definitely like the concept and I hope this gets some traction in mainstream laptops first, since I'd imagine these panels will come with big trade-offs for content creators and gamers.

Also, some side-ways expansion may be good as well? XD

Regards.

Upwards rolling for reddit fans and sidewise rolling for gamers and content creators...

InvalidError

Titan
There will be no crease, but you will need some sort of durable sliding mechanism to help extend the screen beyond the chassis and keep the thin panel straight. So I am pretty sure the panel technology will introduce other challenges/ limitations.
I think the "durable sliding mechanism" problem got sorted 40+ years ago by kitchen cabinetry: practically the same technology as low-friction drawer sliders. Fundamentally the same technology used in sliding-keyboard feature-phones and smart-phones from 5-15 years ago. Grit getting in the fold mechanism can end up directly in contact with the screen and ruin it, grit getting in the roll and slide mechanisms in a rollable display isn't anywhere near the screen itself and there is no mechanism putting pressure on the screen during the roll/unroll process which could make grit on the screen puncture it either.