Lenovo ThinkPad X1 is a MacBook Air Killer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pale paladin

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
[citation][nom]fwapple[/nom]There is no such thing as a "Mac XXXX killer". Apple's prestige comes from their ability to make products that are a fashion statement, which are bought up by people who either would've never amounted to anything if they didn't inherit their money, or else people with low self esteem who think Apple products will make them look cool.To those ends, it wouldn't matter how much better a non-Apple product was. Besides "thin" is not a useful feature, a Macbook Air, like an iPad, is not a real computer used for real work, it's just an expensive way of crying out for attention.[/citation]

Sir you get it better than any I have ever seen. I completely agree with you. Save the shiny white crap for the yuppie spoiled kids and leave the ENTERPRISE class stuff for the rest of us. hazaaa

toughbook

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Man, you guys are so one sided and oh so bias. God forbid someone makes a comment about Apple in a non positive way.
In what way does Lenovo use outdated hardware? If you look at the specs on there new laptops I see 2nd Gen Sandy Bridge CPU's, among other current hardware that is used by others. Lenevo does not try to compete with the Dell's, Hp's, etc. They do subject them to alot more stringet tests than most others. They are for the business user mostly. If you were a laptop manufacture wouldn't you want some of the MBA sales?
I don't even own a Lenovo, my son does though. A new T410 from his school with a I5-520. It's not a shabby one at all. I own Toughbook's only, they are built for a certain segment, target buyer.

RobinPanties

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
[citation][nom]Gamer-girl[/nom]How can you say it's a macbook air killer without the specs?Am i missing it somewhere?[/citation]
Since when did specs matter in Appleland? The 13" Macbook Air costs $1,428.00 in the cart for a 1.86 Core 2 Duo if you upgrade to 4 GB 1066mhz DDR3 and add the optional ethernet port USB dongle; with NO optical drive!! Sure, it's got 128 GB SSD soldered in, but for $550, Best Buy sells a Samsung laptop with a 14" LED screen, 4GB RAM, 2.53 GHZ dual Core i3, Win7 Home Premium 64-BIT and a DVD burner... ethernet is pretty much a standard on computers... That's $900 cheaper... Even if you replaced the internal drive with a 128GB SSD for $250, you're still talking about $650 more expensive... MacOS is nice looking and all, but there is NO WAY that it's worth an extra $650... that's absurb...sorry, it's just not that much better

RobinPanties

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
The point of that previous comment was to point out that Apple releases products with lower specs for higher prices all the time.. so, in comparison to their products, specs mean nothing to the Apple faithful... (I mean seriously, they're still selling Core 2 Duo's for over $1000?! wtf) they claim "starting at $999" yeah... for an 11" screen, 1.4 GHZ Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, no ethernet, & no optical drive... d00kie!

kkiddu

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
[citation][nom]RobinPanties[/nom]The point of that previous comment was to point out that Apple releases products with lower specs for higher prices all the time.. so, in comparison to their products, specs mean nothing to the Apple faithful... (I mean seriously, they're still selling Core 2 Duo's for over $1000?! wtf) they claim "starting at $999" yeah... for an 11" screen, 1.4 GHZ Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, no ethernet, & no optical drive... d00kie![/citation]

You, sir, are wise. No manufacturer in 2011 is gonna launch a laptop without a first gen Core i3/i5/i7, if not a Sandy Bridge, except Apple probably.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]RobinPanties[/nom]Since when did specs matter in Appleland? The 13" Macbook Air costs $1,428.00 in the cart for a 1.86 Core 2 Duo if you upgrade to 4 GB 1066mhz DDR3 and add the optional ethernet port USB dongle; with NO optical drive!! Sure, it's got 128 GB SSD soldered in, but for $550, Best Buy sells a Samsung laptop with a 14" LED screen, 4GB RAM, 2.53 GHZ dual Core i3, Win7 Home Premium 64-BIT and a DVD burner... ethernet is pretty much a standard on computers... That's $900 cheaper... Even if you replaced the internal drive with a 128GB SSD for $250, you're still talking about $650 more expensive... MacOS is nice looking and all, but there is NO WAY that it's worth an extra $650... that's absurb...sorry, it's just not that much better[/citation]
and how much does that samsung weigh? How much battery life does it have?

I dare u to find another 1.32kg, 13" laptop with a 1.86GHz dual core, 128GB SSD, 7 hours of battery life and something equivalent to a Nvidia geforce 320m (which is much better than the Intel 3000HD. Nvidia integrated graphics was the main reason Apple stuck with core2duos for so long) for $1300 or less.

The MB Air is very powerful for it's size.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
This actually looks pretty cool- but of course this entire article has turned into a flame war. My biggest complaints about it is that it doesn't have a user-replaceable battery and to replace it probably costs like $150. Now, I don't like Apple and they get away with murder with their hardware but I actually am itching to try OSX- but on a PC- well so much for dreaming.

mikeru

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Mac book Air is made for flexible use and I like my Macbook than anything else. It's small,powerfull, fully useable,acually you can install windows on Mac. It has very good battery life and it can be replacemnet for your desktop. In addition, I'm watching blu-ray an HD movies on it all the time and it has much better quality than any other laptop on or blu-ray player on the market.I was looking for different brands before buying Mac and I couldn't find anythingl better that Macbook Air. People who are saying bad things about macbook air didn't have a chanse to use it for a long time and I can tell you now. They will change their minds.
Yes. It's expensive, but I prefer to overpay for the future product rather than spend my money on garbage.

P.S. People you don't need CD/DVD drive on Laptop anymore it's slow and Useless.

djsting

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I never understand the point of calling something a "xxx killer". Be it the Macbook killer, the iphone killer, droid killer....whatever. Companies just adapt. If this system is superior to whatever it's killing. The "killed" product will evolve. It's manufacturer will make something better.

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
I LOVE my Lenovo w700. Specs are good + it has a wacom tablet built in. Besides that what more can you say then quality (other than the bloatware it comes with lol). Lenovo also tests their hinges over 30,000 times. The screens can also rotate a full 180° as seen in the picture. I've had many computers and laptops in the past but I haven't been more satisfied than with my Lenovo.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]I never liked Lenovo because they supplied schools with outdated hardware[/citation]
WoW....I can say the same of Apple... In 1996, my freshman year of High School....I had the displeasure of helping setup the catalog system in the school's library. The computers were supplied by Apple at a pretty hefty price. The computers were early (old) Macintosh computers....presented to us as being "brand new"....still in the boxes from Apple... We had hundreds of brand new (300 to be accurate), 166mhz Pentium based systems provided by a local system builder....and 9 of these outdated Macintosh computers (from the late 80's) supplied by Apple... We also had roughly 150 assorted Dell, Compaq and Gateway systems clocked at 133mhz....and roughly 60, 486DX2 systems running Windows3.1 from IBM that were carried over from a school that closed that were used in a typing class... Apple was the only company to provide "new" computers that were actually OLD computers.

kschen

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
"the X1 packs impressive specifications, especially for a device targeted at those of us used to sacrificing performance for lightweight. Headlining the device is a 2.5GHz Core i5-2520M CPU, the same processor as can be found in the 34.6 mm thick X220. Let me say that again, Lenovo managed to grow the screen and pack the same processor into a device one third less thick. A 13.3" 1366 x 768 Gorilla Glass screen, 160GB SSD, 8GB of RAM, an SDXC card reader and the excellent keyboard and build quality we've come to expect from the ThinkPad line round out the specifications" from Anandtech.

G

They may be a little ugly or at least not flashy, but you can drive a car over their laptops and spill a drink on them with no damage. They make a truly heavy duty laptop, which helps given that they go through a lot of abuse. The government is transitioning to them now instead of the old Panasonic Toughbook laptops.

Apple makes throw away equipment. Drop a Mac and see what happens.

If you really want a fancy looking lenovo, just bedazzle it.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]mikeru[/nom] P.S. People you don't need CD/DVD drive on Laptop anymore it's slow and Useless.[/citation]

Spoken like a true fanboy. If CD/DVD drives are useless, how do you plan on watching your own DVD collection on your MACBOOK AIR? How do you plan on watching your friend's movie collection? When your MACBOOK AIR is broken and you bring it to my computer shop to fix, how will I fix it if my tools are on DVD? I'll charge you extra if I have to put crap on USB memory sticks. We have macs go through our shop all the time and they're a huge pain to fix. We generally charge a high premium for the extra work required.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Dear Lenovo, what took you so long??? And why does everyone keep coming out with Iphone killers, Ipad killers, Macbook killers etc... Why is it Apple never has to come out with a Lenovo killer, Samsung killer, Droid killer etc... Think about it before you trash Apple. Oh and no I don't own a single Apple product or any Apple stock. But I can see the difference between being on the bleeding edge and playing catch up in the market.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]Spoken like a true fanboy. If CD/DVD drives are useless, how do you plan on watching your own DVD collection on your MACBOOK AIR? How do you plan on watching your friend's movie collection? When your MACBOOK AIR is broken and you bring it to my computer shop to fix, how will I fix it if my tools are on DVD? I'll charge you extra if I have to put crap on USB memory sticks. We have macs go through our shop all the time and they're a huge pain to fix. We generally charge a high premium for the extra work required.[/citation]
He's an Apple user so he's probably so stupid as to pay $15 for a movie from itunes. But at least he doesn't need a $20 dvd drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.