Lenovo to Launch Android Tablet, LePad, in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

xantek24

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
anyway, down to business, i have a ?, what is it with these tablets all of the sudden? I don't speak only for my self but you can't carry a tablet or the "IPad" with you all the time. Based on my observations, people rather have an all-in-one solution which is a smartphone...."i might as well use my phone for documents" is what i get all the time.

drakefyre

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
Why can't these companies show just a little bit of creativity? What's with the pad nonsense? Make up your own name people, imitation is just another form of flattery. These types of naming schemes just make Apple look good and other companies look like they are playing catch up, which they sort of are, but they shouldn't be so obvious about it.

[EDIT] I totally forgot about Lenovo's ThinkPad line when writing this, which makes this rant almost absolutely foolish as the pad bit is definitely not being copied from Apple.

ZaKa

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
LePad... I'm picturing people wearing berets and eating french baguettes using a LePad!

Je blagues, c'est géniales!

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Samaung galaxy pad can handle calls texts and data but the blurring of the line between phone and notebook continues. Personally I like a phone to call and text on and have data for tethering a laptop since wifi hotspots are insanely priced. Tables do interest me since they're smaller and lighter than a laptop and easier to browse on than a phone when you need to fill time. Tho I like to program or do uni work while out and about so a netbook is handy in that area if not a bit bulky. In my eyes the HTC desire HD or dell streak is the best between phone and tablet. Ok for portable media and browsing. If I was to get a new laptop it would be towards the £600 bracket for light gaming/portable desktop since most of my internet and media needs are handled by a phone. The tablet tho has its worth. I imagine someone with a dumb phone would find a use for one while out and about but then again a good laptop can make it redundant. I guess its an alternative to a netbook or a cool new toy. Apps on a bigger screen and hopefully more powerful hardware with optimised software, yes please! I think I rambled a bit there

millerm84

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
I'm not thrilled about the name, and I love lenovo products so a tablet from them is a product I would look into. But I don't understand why not go for a more marketable name, in China Lepad may sell big, but in the States if it sounds like a french tampon its not going to be a hit. Then again I thought the same thing when I heard iPad and look where that got me.

mj4358

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]Kind of sounds like a womans feminine product...[/citation]
Hmmmm....where have we heard that statement before?

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I couldn't care less about the name, only hardware / price matter.

Snatch. (2000)
Avi: Should I call you Bullet? Tooth?
Bullet Tooth Tony: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]drakefyre[/nom]Why can't these companies show just a little bit of creativity? What's with the pad nonsense? Make up your own name people, imitation is just another form of flattery. These types of naming schemes just make Apple look good and other companies look like they are playing catch up, which they sort of are, but they shouldn't be so obvious about it.[/citation]
But . . . it IS a pad

zorky9

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
[citation][nom]ZaKa[/nom]LePad... I'm picturing people wearing berets and eating french baguettes using a LePad!Je blagues, c'est géniales![/citation]
More like Pepe Le Pew's underpants.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]drakefyre[/nom]Why can't these companies show just a little bit of creativity? What's with the pad nonsense? Make up your own name people, imitation is just another form of flattery. These types of naming schemes just make Apple look good and other companies look like they are playing catch up, which they sort of are, but they shouldn't be so obvious about it.[/citation]
You realize this is Lenovo right? The company who has been using the name ThinkPAD for years? As in WAY before Apple released their iPad, and even before Lenovo bought the devision IBM used the name ThinkPad, seems to me the one imitating is Apple. LePad (needs new name BTW) can be seen as an extension of their laptop ThinkPad line and nothing to do with the iPad.

drakefyre

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]You realize this is Lenovo right? The company who has been using the name ThinkPAD for years? As in WAY before Apple released their iPad, and even before Lenovo bought the devision IBM used the name ThinkPad, seems to me the one imitating is Apple. LePad (needs new name BTW) can be seen as an extension of their laptop ThinkPad line and nothing to do with the iPad.[/citation]

Whoops, you are totally correct. Sorry about that, wasn't thinking. I totally repeal my rant. Although the name is still terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.