Lenovo To Ship Laptops With Ubuntu In India, Starting At 48,000 INR

Status
Not open for further replies.

mf Red

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
I'm not sure if you're aware but a consumer unit is not the same as a business unit. They expect you to replace that $299 Dell after 1-2 years when the performance is terrible. A business class Lenovo will last 3-5 years easily and do all the word processing and spreadsheets you need it to.
That being said, $900 for an i3, 4GB and a mech. drive is overpriced compared to here in the states.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
It's not just over there. It's everywhere outside of the USA.
$330 GTX 970 USA, $520 Australia. $650 GTX 980ti USA, $1000 Australia. $1000 Titan X USA, $1600 Australia. $50 GTA 5 PC USA, $90 Australia.

expunged

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2015
I'm not sure if you're aware but a consumer unit is not the same as a business unit. They expect you to replace that $299 Dell after 1-2 years when the performance is terrible. A business class Lenovo will last 3-5 years easily and do all the word processing and spreadsheets you need it to.
That being said, $900 for an i3, 4GB and a mech. drive is overpriced compared to here in the states.

no where in the article does it state that these are consumer or business units. Even on lenovo's website (us) they are at least $100 cheaper here. I know most of that price goes to export fees and govt fees to make sure certain components and encryptions don't leave the us. Either way from my experience the thinkpads have not been very good since the switch from IBM to Lenovo, maybe a bit before that.

no where in the article does it state that these are consumer or business units. Even on lenovo's website (us) they are at least $100 cheaper here. I know most of that price goes to export fees and govt fees to make sure certain components and encryptions don't leave the us. Either way from my experience the thinkpads have not been very good since the switch from IBM to Lenovo, maybe a bit before that.

Sorry guys, but actually in the article I did state that this is a mainstream system. Second paragraph, first sentence. So it is consumer oriented, not business. That being said, it is very common that the US gets computer hardware cheaper than most other countries. It isn't because of US export fees, as Lenovo is a Chinese company headquartered in Beijing, and most production, if not all, is done in China. It could be export fees from China however, as there are different trade agreements between different nations. Part of the reason the US gets cheaper hardware however is because we are currently the wealthiest nation and have been for several years now. Since there is more money to be made here, more companies send products here, and the competition drives down price. It is hard to say what the exact reason is for the cost increase though.

whassup

Reputable
May 21, 2015

Sorry guys, but actually in the article I did state that this is a mainstream system. Second paragraph, first sentence. So it is consumer oriented, not business. That being said, it is very common that the US gets computer hardware cheaper than most other countries. It isn't because of US export fees, as Lenovo is a Chinese company headquartered in Beijing, and most production, if not all, is done in China. It could be export fees from China however, as there are different trade agreements between different nations. Part of the reason the US gets cheaper hardware however is because we are currently the wealthiest nation and have been for several years now. Since there is more money to be made here, more companies send products here, and the competition drives down price. It is hard to say what the exact reason is for the cost increase though.

The main reason for such price difference is the import and customs duties of the country. As you said USA is the wealthiest nation govt can easily afford lower import taxes than India can.

shiva92

Reputable
Dec 21, 2014
For those who are wondering why PC components are so expensive in India, there is a heavy tax on computer components imported from other countries. For example a 330$ GTX 970 costs approximately 28,000Rs(440$) in India. You guys(those who live in US) are so lucky :)

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
Seems like a waste of money for a laptop of that quality to be honest. If you're looking to get something to last, you'd really want a Clevo workstation or something similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.