Lenovo Y50-70 Touch Slim Gaming Notebook Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

TallestJon96

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2014
I fail to be impressed with gaming notebooks, a GTX 750 ti attached to a $500 OEM desktop with $200 for a monitor, speakers, nice, etc. will beat this for about $800-$900, with the ability to upgrade. I know some people need to be mobile, but these $1200 machines don't even have an SSD.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's basically what the article recommends (if you like this one, find a different P/N with features you like even more, for less money)

NC92

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
I have a very similair laptop but without touch screen, bought half a year ago, and can say that I am very statisfied wiht the product. It plays the games that I want to play well, and is otherwise a very silent and nice everyday working laptop. I actually find that the battery lasted longer then i expected (in comparison to the old Dell laptop that i had, which barely managed 2.5 hours when it was new) Sitting in the living room, casually browsing and reading it can go for a whole evening, and that is basically all I need the battery for.

Two comments about the things about it that I do not like:
1. The SSHD. It is basically just a hdd but with a small ssd part added to it, but that part is way to small to have any significant performance difference. They would have been better off just installing a better quallity hdd, that would have been a much better investment (or an ssd for that matter, although that is quite more costly)
2. The trackpad is completely smooth, I would have liked some physical indication when you move your finger to one of the button positions. a little annoyance, but something that could be easily changed i think.

I would recommend this laptop to anyone wanting to buy a gaming-capable laptop for mid-range prices. I definitely found it to be a great bang-for-the-buck-machine when I bought it, and it probably still is.

SuperVeloce

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
I fail to be impressed with gaming notebooks, a GTX 750 ti attached to a $500 OEM desktop with $200 for a monitor, speakers, nice, etc. will beat this for about $800-$900, with the ability to upgrade. I know some people need to be mobile, but these $1200 machines don't even have an SSD.
To even mention laptop and desktop in the same sentence is just wrong. WRONG I tell ya!

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Lenovo Y series have serious problem = Cooling. The lack on cooling in this type of notebook post a serious problem after u use a while. After sometime the dust accumulated which is going to make the notebook cooling insufficient. Cutting the warranty down to 1yr only further shows that lenovo wasnt confident about the cooling reliability. Dont get me wrong Lenovo dont have reliability issues if taken with care, it is only the cooling, be prepared to do regular fan cleaning if u guys want these slim gaming notebook

Seriously if u guys need to get a gaming notebook, get the real gaming notebook with proper cooling. Not these.

SylentVyper

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
My Sager NP8651 is under 1" and packs a GTX 970m (vastly more powerful than the 860m) and has dual fans cooling the GPU.... This isn't very thin, especially considering you can get the NP8651 for about the same price.

To add to that, the 970m being far more powerful, I don't ever go above 70 degrees on anything. CPU only gets to about 80 under load as well.

If you're in the market for a thin(ish) gaming notebook that performs identically to a 4690(non-k) + GTX 760 (desktop) that doesn't break the bank too bad, Sager is the way to go. I just cringe when I see the HP gaming laptop or the Acer Nitro going for over $1,500 with only an 860m. Yuck.

BioFreak

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
I just bought a y70 a couple weeks ago but had to return it because it was damaged. This laptop had a beautiful screen. I'm hoping they re-release it with or offer a 965m or 970m upgrade.

BioFreak

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
I just bought a y70 a couple weeks ago but had to return it because it was damaged. This laptop had a beautiful screen. I'm hoping they re-release it with or offer a 965m or 970m upgrade.

jl0329

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008

It's 2015 and people are still bringing desktop into a laptop thread. It's really hard to fathom the stupidity of these people...

DuncDog

Honorable
Jan 15, 2015
Lenovo Y series have serious problem = Cooling. The lack on cooling in this type of notebook post a serious problem after u use a while. After sometime the dust accumulated which is going to make the notebook cooling insufficient. Cutting the warranty down to 1yr only further shows that lenovo wasnt confident about the cooling reliability. Dont get me wrong Lenovo dont have reliability issues if taken with care, it is only the cooling, be prepared to do regular fan cleaning if u guys want these slim gaming notebook

Seriously if u guys need to get a gaming notebook, get the real gaming notebook with proper cooling. Not these.

Umm... Have you used a Y50 then? If you mentioned the y510, then we would have something to agree on... I've been benching my Lenovo Y50 for a few hours now and I have this to prove you wrong:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/5597282? - My personal 3Dmark score (To attain this score I am using Throttlestop to max out the CPU and I have used MSI Afterburner to utilize a +135/+500 OC on the GPU. Should note that I have the 4GB 860m and a 4710HQ as seen in the results!

I have provided screenshots of the Max Temps without OCing in Afterburner or ThrottleStop using Prime95 and Kombuster (Modern Furmark) simultaneously.

http://1drv.ms/155mvd0 - Folder in my personal OneDrive for the occasion

I must mention also, that using both Prime95(Blended) and Kombuster (FurryV2) are EXTREMELY unrealistic representations of realworld use, especially when used TOGETHER!

I will also include results after playing 10 minutes of FarCry 4 at the Medium Preset @1080p which will include the GPU being Overclocked with the OC mentioned above. I will make note that I also included the 10 Minute session which I recorded with Shadowplay using the Medium default setting in Shadowplay, and I want to appologize ahead of time for some hitching, but I would like to remind those who don't know that Shadowplay is indeed still in Beta and as such is not flawless.

The video will be up soon, once the upload is done that is.

Any other questions regarding the Lenovo y50 feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer.

TL;DR: I was unaware that 67*C on GPU and 74*C on a Core i7 was considered unbearably hot?

(No touchscreen on my personal model.)

NC92

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
@Sylentviper:

That indeed looks like a pretty good machine as well. Shame they do not have a good servie to the Netherlands, but oh well. I have a laptop already anyway, and spending that amount of money twice a year just isn't worth it :p

As an owner of a first generation G73JH from Asus, I am staying away from gaming laptop until 1080p is fully achieved at reasonable prices.

Even there, when buying a laptop, if you get a lemon, you are stuck with it. My laptop have never been anything else than a 2000$ nightmare. Thanks for that, I will never recommend or buy anything with Asus stick on it. They made numerous poor engineering job outside their motherboard division.

UnBroken92

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015
There are other factors to be honest like portability. Let's say you don't stay at home a lot, and you travel a lot. Then, in this case a desktop is not useful, because it lacks the portability feature.

slsyt

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015
I bought this Laptop back in December 2014, the 1080p version, since then I replaced the Hard drive with an SSD, added another stick of 8gb ddr3 (now at 16gb and runs in dual channel) and replaced the OEM screen as it was atrocious. If anyone one is looking to buy this laptop, the screen is it's main weakness when compared to others for the same price.

Here's video comparison of the OEM screen and a replacement IPS screen for the Y50-70 1080p version http://youtu.be/iH7Etz_3Mp8

Status
Not open for further replies.