Lenovo y510p (Windows 8.1) won't recognize USB 3.0 External Hard Drives.

theuniverse

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015
Hello everyone I have a Lenovo y510p laptop and I have an issue with Windows 8.1, I have 2 External Hard Drives which are also USB 3.0 I remember problems started when I plugged in a generic chinese USB 3.0 hub. Now my laptop won't recognize my external hard drives like at all, won't even show from Device manager nor Disk management. I tried plugging in the drives to a separate computer to check if it's something with the cables or the drives, but the drives work fine on a different computer. My USB ports still recognize a USB 2.0 External hard drive, but not USB 3.0, I tried all ports and my laptop just won't recognize my USB 3.0 hard drives, just the USB 2.0 one. This is very frustrating and I've looked everywhere without a solution so far, I'm pretty sure this has something to do with the Drivers but I try to click uninstall or Update to all USB devices and it just won't do the trick. If anyone around here has a clue what might be causing this issue and if there's a way to fix it I'd really appreciate any help I can get.

Rit_86

Distinguished
If you have any usb 3.0 driver installed, uninstall it from control panel. Restart, download the USB 3.0 driver from the original component manufacturer's site (for example if you have intel usb 3.0 driver, download the latest driver from intel's site and not the one from lenovo). Restart again and see if the problem is solved.

theuniverse

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015
I don't have any USB 3.0 driver installed from programs, and everytime I try to uninstall a USB driver from Device Manager Windows just puts it back like it was when I restart.

budy01

Reputable
Nov 19, 2015
Hello!

Same problem with Lenovo Z50-75. I think it's the AMD's fault, why the USB 3.0 is not working. When I was running Windows7 (64 bit), as i installed the manufacturer's drivers then the computer recognized the usb 3.0 generic root hub, and the external HDD worked with the correct speed. After that I installed (full install, not upgrade) the windows 8 (64 bit) and as i installed the lenovo's drivers it didn't recognize the usb 3.0 At the Device Manager I see a Generic USB HUb, and an AMD USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0100 (Microsoft) and they working correct. The problem is not so simple, because when i am using an USB3.0 pen dirve, it work correct with win7 and win8 too. Only in win8 is problem with usb3.0 external HDD. I checked the hdd on Dell and Fujitsu Desktop Pc's, and it worked correctly. On the laptop only on usb2.0 port is working the hdd. No idea. I checked by lenovo and amd for usb 3.0 driver, but wath i found is not working....