Lenovo Y560 - can't turn on Wifi!

bromanbro

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
My Laptop's been fine for 2 years...when I'm on battery, I switch the wifi off via the switch on the laptop. However, all of a sudden, the Wifi won't turn on again! The switch isn't broken (I've moved it back and forth), and I've tried the software switch ( Fn+F5), but that doesn't work either! I dual boot Windows 8+7, and neither OS has wifi on. I've also tried uninstalling drivers/disabling the adapter via Device Manager, but no luck! I also went into the BIOS, disabled the adapter through there, launched Windows 8, then rebooted and reenabed the Wifi, and that didn't work either =(.

EDIT: Windows troubleshooting says "Turn on wireless capability: Use the switch on the front or side of the comptuer, or function keys if available, to enable wireless capability on this computer".

My warranty ended over a year ago!Paying to send in the laptop for this would suck. Help!

gje

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012

Your problem may be that your wireless adapter properties are set incorrectly. This occasionally happens after you install, reinstall, or update your drivers. If this is the problem, the fix is quite simple. I'm not yet familiar with Windows 8 but for Windows 7 do the following:

1. Control Panel
2. Network and Internet
3. Network Connections
4. Double Click on the name of your Intel network adapter (likely "Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6250 AGN").
This will open a new window with only one tab.
5. In bottom left of the screen, dobule click the "Properties" button.
This will open a new window with two tabs: "Networking" and "Sharing."
6. Select "Networking" (this should have been the one that opened by default).
7. Then select "Configure"
This will open another new window with five (5) tabs.
8. Select the second tab from the left, called "Advanced"
9. This is likely where your problem is. In the large box on the left, select the bottom choice "Wireless Mode" then select "OK"
10. Return to Step #3 and perform steps #4 through #9 again for any other wireless adapters listed.
Most likely you will also have an adapter called "Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter #1" or "Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter #1"

Hope this helps. Let me know if it works.

gje.

bromanbro

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011

EDIT: Got it working after resetting the BIOS to default. Weird, because I already disabled/reenabled the Wifi from there...but then again, Lenovo's hiding 90% of the settings -_-.

ardley216

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012

THIS WORKED FOR ME!!!!

Thank you very much, have been ripping my hair out over this... is this a lenovo problem? mine is a lenovo g570. had the same problem on 7, thought it was a virus.

alhlhli

Honorable
May 20, 2013

VNIMAL

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014
How did you reset the bios? I tried to disconnect the battery under the touch pad and all it did was reset the realtime (I have a password on my bios and I don't know it so I can't change anything)