Question Lenovo z50-70 capacitor near battery exploded, two days later the other two melted and the area around the PCB. What do i do ?

Jan 22, 2023
a bit of a back story i reset the cmos of the laptop because it wouldnt post. after resetting it worked and it was nighttime so i went to sleep. day after that i overslept and didnt have time to open the laptop and after coming back home to use the laptop, it doesnt give signs of life. so i removed the battery and the bottom panel then put the battery back in without the back panel and i saw a spark coming near the port of the battery and then i see this. the cap was still intact but when i held it with a long nose plier it crunled like a burnt piece of bread crumb

20230118_191851.jpg

after that i reassembled everything then two days later same thing happened to the other two caps but it looked melted and melted the pcb around.

20230121_104927.jpg

my guess is that i probably did a bad solder job on resoldering the rtc battery since im kinda noobish on soldering. Am i screwed now?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Very likely that the laptop is beyond repair.

And if there was any remaining warranty that has certainly been voided.

Consider contacting Lenovo for their suggestions and recommendations anyway. Laptop may be reapairable but costly to do so. And only limited, if any, warranty thereafter.

Another option would be an assessment by a local professional repair shop if there are any around. Most likely there wil be a fee for the assessment but some shops will waive the fee or apply it to any repair costs (parts and labor.) Depends on where you live.

Their work may be guaranteed but for what and for how long is a question only they can answer. Quite possible something could go wrong again and there is no way to know if that is the fault of the repair work or some other failure. So unlikely that the shop's guarantees/warranty will have much meaning.

Jan 22, 2023
a bit of a back story i reset the cmos of the laptop because it wouldnt post. after resetting it worked and it was nighttime so i went to sleep. day after that i overslept and didnt have time to open the laptop and after coming back home to use the laptop, it doesnt give signs of life. so i removed the battery and the bottom panel then put the battery back in without the back panel and i saw a spark coming near the port of the battery and then i see this. the cap was still intact but when i held it with a long nose plier it crunled like a burnt piece of bread crumb

20230118_191851.jpg

after that i reassembled everything then two days later same thing happened to the other two caps but it looked melted and melted the pcb around.

20230121_104927.jpg

my guess is that i probably did a bad solder job on resoldering the rtc battery since im kinda noobish on soldering. Am i screwed now?

UPDATE: IT GAVE A SIGN OF LIFE but only a second or so the it shuts off i dont know what that means tho.

USAFRet

Titan
it didnt do it before tho and plus i didnt fully reassemble it yet so its just the motherboard and the ac adaptor
In a laptop, the motherboard is most of the system.

2 ways forward:
1. Accept that it is dead and non-fixable, and buy a new laptop

2. Pay someone a $100 diagnostic fee, to tell you it is dead and non-fixable, and to by a new laptop.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran