Lenovo's Intel Atom-powered Medfield Phone to Launch Next Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cy-Kill

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
...Maloney did highlight the fact that the phone will pack Intel's new Avatar Technology...

So, we'll be able to inhabit other beings, and use them as our avatars! :p

[citation][nom]lostmyclan[/nom]Celeron atom ? no Thanks...[/citation]
[citation][nom]classzero[/nom]It's an atom, no thank you.[/citation]

Are you two seriously saying you wouldn't buy it strictly because of the brand name of the CPU? Medfield beats the dual core ARM chips despite having only one Hyper-Threaded core. It is obviously just as good as the ARMs are. Intel will need to improve it significantly when the Cortex A15s come out, but it is an excellent competitor for dual core A9s.

glenricky

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Are you two seriously saying you wouldn't buy it strictly because of the brand name of the CPU? Medfield beats the dual core ARM chips despite having only one Hyper-Threaded core. It is obviously just as good as the ARMs are. Intel will need to improve it significantly when the Cortex A15s come out, but it is an excellent competitor for dual core A9s.[/citation]

But then Intel would have released their dual core Z2580 or the 22nm Silvermont. For myself, I would go for a phone that can run windows and all application my laptop has

hector2

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
[citation][nom]classzero[/nom]It's an atom, no thank you.[/citation]

Excuse me, but the competition is ARM ! Cell phones aren't exactly high performance servers. LOL

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
[citation][nom]glenricky[/nom]But then Intel would have released their dual core Z2580 or the 22nm Silvermont. For myself, I would go for a phone that can run windows and all application my laptop has[/citation]
^ This is what I continue to hope for... and NOT via Windows8/mobile...
DOSBox, etc.

richarduk

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
[citation][nom]glenricky[/nom]But then Intel would have released their dual core Z2580 or the 22nm Silvermont. For myself, I would go for a phone that can run windows and all application my laptop has[/citation]
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Are you two seriously saying you wouldn't buy it strictly because of the brand name of the CPU? Medfield beats the dual core ARM chips despite having only one Hyper-Threaded core. It is obviously just as good as the ARMs are. Intel will need to improve it significantly when the Cortex A15s come out, but it is an excellent competitor for dual core A9s.[/citation]

I've run Ubuntu 11.04 on a panda board running dual core 1gig arms with 1gig ram against 1.5gig dual core + hyper threading Atom (previous gen 330 + NVidia Ion) with 4gig ram, and the Arm system 'feels' far more responsive! My very unscientific test suggests Intel have a LOT of ground to make up. P.s. The Atom system was installed on a SSD and the arm system on an 8gig sd card so the Atom had more hd bandwidth to play with, I was surprised it did not do better. Both played 1080p HD fine (but that is no test of the cpu)

[citation][nom]richarduk[/nom]I've run Ubuntu 11.04 on a panda board running dual core 1gig arms with 1gig ram against 1.5gig dual core + hyper threading Atom (previous gen 330 + NVidia Ion) with 4gig ram, and the Arm system 'feels' far more responsive! My very unscientific test suggests Intel have a LOT of ground to make up. P.s. The Atom system was installed on a SSD and the arm system on an 8gig sd card so the Atom had more hd bandwidth to play with, I was surprised it did not do better. Both played 1080p HD fine (but that is no test of the cpu)[/citation]

That is a completely different Atom processor... That's like saying that Sandy Bridge i5s suck after trying out a Nehalem dual core i5. Same brand name, but completely different processors. Also, Ubuntu on ARM is probably not the exact same as Ubuntu on X86.

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Android coming with Medfield chips are much more optimized than Linux distros on regular Atom chips. Android 3.0 on Oak Trail, the 45nm generation Tablet Atom, for example had horrible performance on prototype devices. Optimization allowed 5-7x better performance.

[citation][nom]ReadUpDummys[/nom]READ THIS BEFORE COMMENTING!http://www.anandtech.com/show/5592 [...] 2580-z2000[/citation]
[citation][nom]RReadUpDummys[/nom]More ATOM NEWS, For dummys to lazy to google things!http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/23/ [...] e-graphics[/citation]

Really, why do people make new accounts just so they have a name relevant to their argument?

G

They make up names, more likely, to avoid the spam that comes with using a regular account!

Status
Not open for further replies.