Lepers of the tech world rejoice!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
I found the title of the thread funny because most people buy Macs to be cool, not lepers. You pay a huge 2x - 3x price premium for the Apple logo on a computer...so I don't know why you would do that if you really think it is socially unacceptable (as the word leper implies) to buy and own a Mac.

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
RELAX....IT WAS A JOKE...I'm not accusing anyone of anything. If the OP was sarcasm, I'm with you and we agree... I've already tried explaining the comment, so I'm not going to do it again...either you get it or you don't. It was based on the fact you called the Mac forum a place for lepers. Nothing to be offended by, so sorry if you took it the wrong way.

They are both in locked rooms, both used for music making by respective housemates. I'm sure I told you I lived with a couple of musico types, one of whom does lots of music therapy workshops with some heavily disabled kids.

When the last G4 came nicely loaded for less than £40 to the door I don't see much point. It was bought for running iWeb (yes, I hate it!!) as the guy knew how to use it. As he is self employed taking the time out to find another solution would have cost him more than that. The amount of fscking around I would have to do to get similar SW running on Windows or Linux means I'll just leave them to it.

For the Mac users the only support I've had to give in ~2 years of living here is advising on how to recover a formatted partition, google + $15 solved that one in under half an hour. The guy that does the disabled music work does also use XP on a nice second hand think pad. Runs ableton and a few other bits very nicely thank you. There might be room for an Ubuntu Studio install there to at some point, but again it's all time and money.

They must heavily discount their computers for the educational sector... because why would any school pay more money to use what amounts to niche hardware? After all, it's better to teach on the platform that dominates the market.

Unless it's one of those things at which they claim Mac is superior... desktop publishing or photo / video editing. Of course, when the same software is available on both Windows and Mac, then there is no such thing as a "superior" platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.