[SOLVED] Letters at end of ram modules?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2849646
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2849646

eg: 16GB Micron (2x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3 PC3L-12800U-11-13-B1 Computer Ram

Anyone know what B1 stands for? Also does this mean they will not work with A1 modules like this: PC3L-12800U 11-13-A1?

Read something about the letters corresponding to certain slots on the mobo but not sure I understand correctly!

Probably different production lines of ram modules. Could be different ram chip manufacturers.
Has nothing to do with ram slots on motherboard.

To know, if they will play nicely together, requires testing it. There's no other way.
It is not recommended to mix different ram kits together.

Last edited:
eg: 16GB Micron (2x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3 PC3L-12800U-11-13-B1 Computer Ram

Anyone know what B1 stands for? Also does this mean they will not work with A1 modules like this: PC3L-12800U 11-13-A1?

Read something about the letters corresponding to certain slots on the mobo but not sure I understand correctly!
Nope, nothing to do with slots. It's usually a change in the module so the manufacturer has a slightly different part number. Only way to see what the difference is, is to pull both spec sheets and compare them.

D

Deleted member 2849646

Nope, nothing to do with slots. It's usually a change in the module so the manufacturer has a slightly different part number. Only way to see what the difference is, is to pull both spec sheets and compare them.

If the ram type, model, clock speed is the same, but only the numbers and the letter and numbers vary, does this prevent mixing and matching ram modules?

For example, for the above two ram modules aforementioned, is there anything preventing me using them in dual channel in two of the linked DIMM slots? i.e. does this bit really matter:

"-11-13-B1" and "-11-13-A1 "

If the ram type, model, clock speed is the same, but only the numbers and the letter and numbers vary, does this prevent mixing and matching ram modules?

For example, for the above two ram modules aforementioned, is there anything preventing me using them in dual channel in two of the linked DIMM slots? i.e. does this bit really matter:

"-11-13-B1" and "-11-13-A1 "
Nope, nothing prevents trying them together. But things like dual channel may not work or other quirks. Or it might just work fine since it's DDR3 and ime DDR3 isn't too picky on such small changes.