Level 9 Interpreter and Amiga Graphics

Hello all,

I have an Amiga ADF file of Time And Magik, which I would like to use in the
Level 9 Interpreter by Glen Summers and David Kinder. I cannot load the .adf
within the application, so I use the L9Cut utility to extract the relevant
..dat and .pic files (as instructed in the Level 9 Interpreter help file).
But it complains that it cannot find the infile (i.e. the .adf file) even
though it is there, when I use the command:

L9CUT.exe TimeMagik.adf TimeAndMagik

I have checked the .adf file with WinUAE and no problems - so, can anyone
help with the extraction of the Amiga Level 9 graphic files to be used in
the L9 interpreter?? (I am using Windows XP)

PS. I am having a great time with Andreas Scherrer .NET version of the Level
9 Interpreter. For those with windows and .NET 1.1 please have a play, I'm
very impressed and have spent many a goodly hour using it (Excellent work,
Andreas!)

Jerry Drake wrote:
> I have an Amiga ADF file of Time And Magik, which I would like to
> use in the Level 9 Interpreter by Glen Summers and David Kinder.

Normally, on Linux, I just loop-mount ADF files. But since you're using
Windows, this might prove useful:

http://lclevy.club.fr/adflib/unadf.html

An alternative way is to start your emulator (I use WinUAE), load Amiga OS
(or workbench, or whatever you installed on your virtual Amiga) and copy the
ADF's contents into a Windows directory that has been mounted as a hard disk
in the emulator.

Note that if the ADF is copy protected, both of the approaches above might
not work.

Jerry Drake wrote:
> I have an Amiga ADF file of Time And Magik, which I would like to use in the
> Level 9 Interpreter by Glen Summers and David Kinder.

L9Cut can only extract the game data, not the graphics data, and then only
from files where the game data appears as a single, continuous block, like
a memory dump from an emulator for an 8-bit machine. It won't be able to
pull the game data from the ADF, as that's a representation of the Amiga's
disk structure, with data broken up into blocks. Possibly the documentation
should have made that clearer. :-(

The easiest thing is to set up a Windows directory as a hard drive in WinUAE,
then mount the ADF in WinUAE and copy the files from within WinUAE from the
ADF to the Windows directory. There are also tools to read ADFs directly from
Windows ("ADF Explorer", I think), but I've never tried them.

David

> I have an Amiga ADF file of Time And Magik, which I would like to use in the
> Level 9 Interpreter by Glen Summers and David Kinder.

Thanks for your praise Jerry. :)
When I've time I'll finish up the next (beta) release of Level9.NET.

A nice tool to extract files from .adf files is ADF Opus.
It can be found here: http://adfopus.sourceforge.net/

Andreas

TRENDING THREADS