Lexar JD Firefly USB Device Failure

Cispus

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
Hi Everyone,
I've read numerous threads about broken USB drives, but haven't found one that matches all the symptoms mine is having. So here goes:

My USB flash drive has failed. After troubleshooting, I am certain of a few things:
The flash drive is failing, not any of the PCs I've used to access it. My drivers are current on the PC I'm actively using...
When I place the drive into the port, Device Manager lists "Lexar JD Firefly USB Device" under Disk Drives. This is AFTER removing all non-present devices from DM. However, the drive does NOT show up as a drive under Computer.

The LED does flash for a moment every few minutes. Soon after the LED flashes the Computer window refreshes and shoes a portable drive for a split second. If I click on this icon when it pops up, it tells me the drive doesn't exist.

Under Device Manager, Portable Devices I get a "WPD FileSystem Volume Driver" that appears with an error. The error code has been all of these at some point: Code 1, code 10, code 18, code 45.

I've confirmed it isn't the USB contacts and I've tried applying gentle pressure without any success.

Remo recovery and other such programs haven't been able to find the drive in order to attempt to fix it.

Any suggestions other than sending it to a shop for repair? I could care less about the device, but would like the data stored on it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hey Cispus. It does sound pretty bad. Have you tried reinstalling the drivers or have you tried it with another computer/device just in case? I'd also recommend that you try if a different data recovery program can recognize the flash drive and access it. Otherwise, unfortunately if the flash drive has failed, there's not much you can do. :(
Take a look at the data recovery solutions from this thread, hopefully something works: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1644496/lost-data-recovery.html

Boogieman_WD

Cispus

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015

Thanks Boogieman,
I've tried it with multiple computers and reloading the drivers multiple times with no luck. I'm still holding onto some hope because the computer knows there is a USB drive plugged in, and it keeps trying to show me the "i:" drive assigned to it. Unfortunately it continues to only be a mirage when it does appear.

Cispus

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
I just tried using Recuva- one listed on the thread you suggested without success. The program states, "Failed to scan the following drives:... The system cannot find the file specified." Every tool I've tried hasn't been able to find the USB drive, although the computer tells me details about the USB port and what's plugged into it. :)

I'm sorry to have to say it, but indeed it sounds like there's not much hope for your flash drive. You could keep trying data recovery tools or try a professional solution, such as a data recovery company, but the bad thing with flash drives is that the recovery process is not the same as recovering data from an HDD platter, where you can "extract" the data directly from the platter. If the flash drive has failed, more often than not there's nothing you can do.

I hope you find some way to recover your files. Good luck.