LF better understanding of CPU core/threads perf in multitaskings..

Sep 21, 2018
I have Intel-Core-i5-3570K which has 4cores 4threads so 8 "processes" can do at once, but here it gets rly misleading for me because now plenty software and games can use more that one core/thread and if f.e. i use poorly optimized program it can "kill" all cores/threads?

When i have plenty things running how can i find "culprits" that actually slows system down/cause stutter/lag? I tried some latency softs i read bout in this forum but result from them was "too much things running ... well thanks for giving me the obvious (mean that soft not u guys o:)) ).

in few months im planning to buy ryzen but in this benchmark it doesnt look so much of a boost or i just dont understand it? true that ryzen has 6 + 12 instead of mine 4 + 4 ..

is some soft or diag util that can show what exact app of f.e. google tab gives cpu problems?

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-3570K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600X/1316vs3956

kanewolf

Titan
Your first sentence is wrong. Your i5 has "4cores/4threads" means that 4 things can execute at once and the CPU can track 4 to run immediately.

An i7 or your upcoming Ryzen has "C/2x C" so that Ryzen can execute 6 things at once and the CPU will have 12 things ready to run immediately. The 2x #cores is hyperthreading. This allows the CPU to remain busier because it has up to 12 things ready to execute as soon as resources become available.

4 cores = 4 threads = 4 logical processors. You do not have 8. Typical cores only handle 1 thread. Threads go in a core, they are not separate things. A thread is just a line of instructions. A core processes those instructions. When a single core is stuffed with 2 threads, you get better performance but only a bit. Think of it as just filling in any empty spaces that a single threads isn't using.

Poorly optimized programs do not kill cores or slow down the system. What slows down the system is using the system. You open task manager and see what has high usage. No extra or special software needed.