LF new GPU / Mobo - Upgrading current system

Joshee23

Commendable
May 20, 2017
Hi guys,

First time poster on here as I'm currently lost as to what to purchase having been out of the loop of building / upgrading PCs for the last 2 years or so.

I've just followed the format in the stickied post at the top so bare with me.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Next week if get good advice by then!

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming - Poker (Multi tabling with programs that have a lot of usage), DoTA2, WoW. going to start a stream to so being able to do /\ whilst streaming would also be good.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: ATI radeon 5750 and StealthXStream 2 600 W PC Power Supply OCZ600SXS2

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: (AMD FX4300 Quad core Processor 3800mhz, MSI 970a G43 , DDR3 , CM storm scout case

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: amazon, overclockers, I live in UK so no real restrictions.

PARTS PREFERENCES: none really, always used AMD but open to nvidia etc

OVERCLOCKING: No SLI OR CROSSFIRE: not bothered

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1776 x 1000 and 1920 x 1080

So I think based on this set up I really need a new GPU and possibly a better motherboard?

Not to sure

Cheers for your help in advance

Budget is around 200/300£

/Josh

Solution
That power supply comes with a 6 pin pci-ex connector, and a 6+2 pin. So any videocard that needs two 8 pin connectors(or two 6+2 pin) is out unless you want to buy a new power supply.

The 'Crysis 3 with full AA..." part makes me think you won't be happy with a compromise build. That being the case, you'd be looking at building a new computer. Once you leave the FX CPUs behind, you need a new motherboard, which means new DDR4 ram, and you still need the new videocard. This is not an upgrade, it's a new computer.

The budget upgrade would be to drop an FX 8300 in your current motherboard plus an RX 470 or 570. The problem is that would only get you decent 1080p gaming, and not with things like AA cranked up.

For what you want, you'll...

gussrtk

Honorable
in short answer, not much of a good choice for you at the moment. your CPU is just simply too weak to handle the 970. Not really a good upgrade path in other words.

Your whole system is pretty dated and it may be a better choice to try get a full PC build. You do seem to have lots of demands and lots of expectations, I'm wondering what's your budget?

Joshee23

Commendable
May 20, 2017

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Is it the cpu that's not good for the motherboard or the other way round? I don't mean to come across as demanding was just asking a Q so sorry about that.

(System currently runs everything above at an OK and usable level it's just not amazing if you know what I mean.)

I'm open to ideas of how I can upgrade if at all, if not it might be best to look at getting a new pc.

Around £200/£300 !

Thanks mate
Josh

That power supply comes with a 6 pin pci-ex connector, and a 6+2 pin. So any videocard that needs two 8 pin connectors(or two 6+2 pin) is out unless you want to buy a new power supply.

The 'Crysis 3 with full AA..." part makes me think you won't be happy with a compromise build. That being the case, you'd be looking at building a new computer. Once you leave the FX CPUs behind, you need a new motherboard, which means new DDR4 ram, and you still need the new videocard. This is not an upgrade, it's a new computer.

The budget upgrade would be to drop an FX 8300 in your current motherboard plus an RX 470 or 570. The problem is that would only get you decent 1080p gaming, and not with things like AA cranked up.

For what you want, you'll need more videocard than that, a lot more. That means your FX based system needs to be replaced since it won't be a match for a card like that.

Solution

rickmond

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
I'd save up a little and go for a skylake build. 6600k with a gtx 1060 or similar. you'll get away under $1000 but $600 is pushing it.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xpWKQV

take a look at that, I put together a system for you around $700 that should meet your reqs and be solid for at least a few years. Might want to play around with that site a bit and you might find components that are higher quality for less money, I just kind of slapped this together and its missing a case and PSU, I didn't add those because you may be able to use your old ones.

Joshee23

Commendable
May 20, 2017

Thanks for the detailed reply.

The Crysis AA bit was where I hadn't took it out after copying the example on how to write out a post. I am willing to compromise it doesn't have to be an all singing and dancing upgrade etc :)

Thank you for your help!

Josh