LG Intros Quantum Dots To Boost Color Reproduction In 4K TVs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merry_Blind

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
It's depressing to see OLED being pushed to the side like this... It's so promising. I really hope they'll continue to work on OLED technologies and that it will be more affordable and popular sooner than later.

4K is just a waste at this point...

haftarun8

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
@Merry_Blind, Agreed!! While Quantum Dots get the color gamut closer to OLED, the one KEY advantage OLED has that currently no other display tech can come close to matching, is INFINITE contrast ratio...every sub pixel is an emissive light source that can turn 100% off when they need to be black. LCDs just can't filter out all of the backlight's bleed behind their subpixels, so while you may get 3000:1 contrast with a high-end VA panel in the $4000 LCD HDTVs (note that LG's OLED is $3500 and falling), that's still nowhere close to the Pioneer Kuro plasma from 2008, much less OLED tech that, again, has INFINITE:1 contrast. The difference here is beyond staggering when you actually get your TV into a dim/dark room at home.

Retail stores would sell OLED much better if they didn't blast the sales floor area with insane bright, harsh light which washes out every TV set beyond practical viewing.

InvalidError

Titan

Only in theory.

In practice, there will be contamination (bleed) between neighboring pixels, diffusion light across the panel, reflected ambient light, leakage current from the drivers and cell transistors, and other factors that will probably limit contrast on a checkerboard pattern to maybe 100k:1.

Even if practical low-cost OLED displays ended up with only 10k:1 true static contrast, that would still be a ~12X improvement over most modern LCDs. For OLEDs to deliver on their promise of low-cost manufacturing, it has to become a printable technology and ditch the expensive low-temperature metal vapor deposition process.

haftarun8

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
Not in theory. Have you tested one yourself? People have. The Samsung KN55S9C and LG 55EC9300, two TVs that are out now and can be bought in a retail store measure a black level of 0.0000 cd/m2. You literally cannot see any perceptible difference between the screen and a completely black room around it. If you have blinds or are viewing at night, ambient light should be a controlled issue and a non-factor. If you're talking a checkerboard pattern, any limitations there would still be smaller than those on an LCD or even Plasma, so the difference in overall picture quality would still be enormous in those situations.

"Practical" OLEDs are already far beyond 10k:1...they're as close to infinite as your eye can see. The display used in the galaxy note 4 also yields immeasurable contrast ratios in use, and I can confirm with my own eyes that in a black room, I cannot discern any difference between a truly black portion of the screen against the black bezel or the dark room around it. As volume increases the cost will go down. Remember a 40" 852x480 Plasma TV in 1997 cost $10-$20...

As for printing on flexible plastic substrates and rolls to reduce manufacturing costs, it's already being done. You can find a lot of info about the breakthroughs there and what tech is being planned and implemented into newer factories on oled-info.com.

Even LG, the makers of this quantum dot tv they're talking about here considers OLED a superior technology. While I get doing this in the short term, it's inevitable that OLED will be the viable choice at all price points where quality is desired in the long term. I'd like to see that sooner than later.

InvalidError

Titan

Who watches a TV in a perfectly dark room with perfectly black walls, perfectly black furniture, perfectly black makeup, perfectly black clothes and perfectly black everything else? The moment you put any image on screen, light will get back-scattered and reflected by the screen and your otherwise perfectly dark pixels won't be perfectly black anymore.

Being able to achieve "infinite" contrast using a light metering sensor stuck directly on the screen with a shroud blocking external light within a few centimeters from said sensor is futile when normal watching conditions will drop the contrast observable from the couch well under 100k:1 most of the time. That's the problem with synthetic benchmarks: they tend to over-emphasize situations that are completely irrelevant to real-world use.

Current OLEDs may beat my hypothetical 10k:1 but current OLED manufacturing is far less cost-effective than LCDs. What I meant by practical is high-volume, low-cost manufacturing while still delivering significant benefits over LCDs. I think most people would be perfectly happy with having only 10k:1 OLEDs instead of 1M:1 if it meant they could have OLEDs (much) cheaper than LCDs of the same resolution and equivalent build quality - giving up some of the technical superiority to reduce production costs.

peterf28

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2013
Best tv by far are panasonic plazmas . I have two 42 . It is very very sad they stopped production of this superior technology, i would buy immediately a 60 inch .

Kewlx25

Distinguished

Quantum Dot LEDs (QD-LED) are technologically superior to OLEDs in every way. Does not wear out, can directly produce any color. OLEDs use organic compounds to product colors, and those compound wear out and oxidize, and are limited to producing certain colors. QDLEDs use the spacing between electron holes to determine the photon's wavelength, and those holes do not wear out.

Quantum Dot LED's are not "superior in every way":

"Unfortunately, they still rely on LED backlights, which means displays using the technology must still be carefully engineered to offer other critical picture quality elements, such as deep black levels and uniformly bright screens."

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/samsung-shelves-oled-favor-quantum-dot-display-tech-next-gen-televisions/

In the long run OLED will win out once the manufacturing and longevity issues are sorted out. Superior blacks, no backlight and the eventual ability to simply "print" the screens will eventually make it the obvious choice.

Kewlx25

Distinguished

This implementation of QDLEDS does use a backlight, but "actual" QDLEDs emit their own light. Give it some time, they'll have the full featured versions out at some point.

curiousgeorgieo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I scraped up the money for an LG OLED TV. The blacks and color range is the most incredible thing I have ever seen. I highly recommend comparing an OLED TV side-by-side with even a quantum dot tv and you will still realize that OLED technology is significantly superior. It turns out that low yields and waste while producing large OLED panels were the real reasons why OLED is more expensive. If all companies switched to LG's method of OLED TV's with the white layer they may be able to produce it at a lower cost with a higher yield. Why does the best get pushed to the side for compromises. Everyone deserves to get this technology and we rely on these giants to make it cheap enough for everyone. Samsung, LG, please stick with OLED and take another swing at profitability with OLED.

Merry_Blind

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014

Hum... I'll admit I don't know much about Quantom Dot technologies, but it just seems like another incremental upgrade on LCD screens. I'm sure it's great, but I'm also pretty sure it's not better than OLED "in every way". OLED has been praised left and right for having the BEST blacks (and thus contrasts), BEST colors, BEST motion and BEST viewing angle. I doubt LCD screens, no matter the upgrade, can become the BEST all around all of a the sudden when it's been just o.k. in all 4 of those categories for years compared to Plasma for example.

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
1080p Content upscale to 4k On Netflix makes the image look amazing , like never before, 4k content is now streaming from netflix , Amazon and Direct tv, Any opinion from any kid that doesnt know this doesnt matter and should be deleted from the reply section.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006

Unfortunately, the author of this article neglected to include that LG still considers OLED as the superior technology in the long run.
QD is not pushing aside OLED. QD is simply cheaper for now.

Merry_Blind

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014

Yeah I read a bit more about the subject today because of this article, and I found out that LG are still 110% comitted to push the technology forward. They have actually announced that they have a new "OLED division" and that they are starting right now (in December) to manufacture 4 times the amount they were before to make drive the price down.

I'd say OLED will really get more popular in 2016. Prices will be much cheaper, the issues with the technology should be ironed out, and there should be more brand jumping on the bandwagon and thus more choice and competition.

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Well there is upscaling of current content so it is okay. I have a 4k tv and I love it. I think it feels better on my eyes then the old tv that now is in the basement.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006

With Seiko Epson working successfully on a tech to print OLED displays, it is really only a matter of time before OLED goes mainstream and is very inexpensive to produce. I fully expect that the drop in the cost of OLED to be significantly quicker than the corresponding drop in prices when plasma and LCD were introduced. 2016 could very well be the year that this happens. I've been following OLED for a while, but spent $600 two years ago on a 50" LG plasma to hold me over until OLED is reasonably priced. ;)

Netflix and others have 4K content right now. Also, many current HT receivers have 4K pass-through as well as 4K upscaling. However, the current lack of HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 are issues that everyone considering 4K should be aware of because without those, a current 4K compatible device may not be so compatible with future offerings.

I've heard that you can get a bigger display than you would normally consider, say a 65" rather than a 55".

Status
Not open for further replies.