LG LCD Display Only .23 Inches Thick

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuser

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
It's great news that another manufacturer has entered the LED-backlit LCD market. I'm hoping that I can find a reasonably priced screen this holiday season.

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Gutbop[/nom]But can it play Crysis?[/citation]

I laugh, but only because its one place I didn't expect to see this comment.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
What is the obsession with being thin in technology? Something that's 42 inches, should be thick enough to handle. Something that large, being the width of a coin, seems that (even if it weren't floppy) it would be very awkward moving it around.

Does it snap easy?

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]What is the obsession with being thin in technology? Something that's 42 inches, should be thick enough to handle. Something that large, being the width of a coin, seems that (even if it weren't floppy) it would be very awkward moving it around.Does it snap easy?[/citation]

i've noticed this race as well, but being able to create a thin monitor kinda shows off the potential and skill of a company, like nvidia and ati constantly going for 'best video card'... i mean if ati just stuck in the $200 range, that would be awesome, but it wudn't show of what they can do... it's all about which is the superior company i suppose.

and i heard edge lit is no where as good as local backlit led systems... i want one of those =D

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]i've noticed this race as well, but being able to create a thin monitor kinda shows off the potential and skill of a company, like nvidia and ati constantly going for 'best video card'... i mean if ati just stuck in the $200 range, that would be awesome, but it wudn't show of what they can do... it's all about which is the superior company i suppose.[/citation]
But those are functional. You get an increase in performance and functionality, this is purely aesthetic.

AdamB5000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
This is nice and all, but I'd rather see companies throw their R&D dollars into better quality pictures (better contrast, more accurate colors, etc). I'd pay for a 3" thick tv that has an awesome picture before I buy a tv that is 1/2" thick and has a pretty good picture.

G

No bill, it will make it more flat. It is my understanding that only a handful of people would choose flat over thick :3

foody

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I find it funny how everybody else except desktop users want everything smaller. Its ironic how they are working so hard to make screens and displays so much smaller but all I really want is a huge desktop tower the size of a server with 6 massive graphics cards, 88 sticks of RAM, and 4 air turbines blowing the air out. Ok maybe I over exaggerated but still...

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]But those are functional. You get an increase in performance and functionality, this is purely aesthetic.[/citation]

Purely aesthetic is a function too, it allows you to do many more things with these displays which you could not do with bulky displays. Fit into smaller areas, hang on walls without really standing out. The mere fact they're using less raw materials and bringing the weights down so much means they're also saving money on the resources they use and allows the company to tap into better profit or reduce prices at some level.

This is great news, I didn't know LG made their own screens but I'm looking forward to being able to buy something like this in the next couple of years.

dragonfang18

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
Ill wait for wallpaper sized screens. Then I can dedicate one side for theater and TV, while the other is for my PC... The only problem with thin things is how to hook em up together. LOL

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]bin1127[/nom]that small panel is 42"!? how big is that lady?[/citation]

I didn't catch that until you pointed it out.

Mecha Giant Kumonga Bitch....this looks like a job for Godzilla!

Well...maybe not Godzilla. That might be a little overkill having looked at the photo again. If that was a 47" television then the height would only be about 26" which when scaled against an asian woman (who are usually fairly short) would probably place this one in the 12' foot range.

So...not Godzilla but maybe Godzilla Junior. She might be able to put up a decent fight...for a few minutes.

Maybe we should just bypass Godzilla and getting him all pissed off and just cap her in the knees with a bat?

Status
Not open for further replies.