LG Preps Unbreakable OLED displays

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Whoever bought that sharp tv got ripped off. 108" LCD is still the same junk technology. Oled a new technology used in tvs that greatly increases visual quality thereby much better justifies a premium price.

leaded gas only

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
Want to see OLED in action?
No need to search the web for video clips or tech press releases. Check out an OLD Movie. Back to The Future 2.
In the McFly household the kids wore display glasses they used for phone, video , etc. They had roll down window shades that displayed what ever outdoor scene they wanted. The "TV" was a canvas on the wall that you told what channels you wanted to see. Maybe these examples are exaggeration of such a tech taken to an extreme; but all are within the realm of possibility.

leaded gas only

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
The tech I have been waiting YEARS on was 3d display glasses that are no more bulky than a sort of 'wrap around' sunglasses. The curve of the display with give you a more convincing 3D effect and all since 100% of your field of vision is filled it would be a convincing VR. Sony demoed some on-concept VR glasses like this but they were very, very expensive hi def LCDs. OLED can pull this tech off cheap once it matures in the market place. But that is probably 3-5 years out.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]Cool - but your type of thinking, along with what is acceptable to you, is not the same as the general consumer. Look at how wasteful we are as a society.....we throw away, and discard things LONG before their usefulness has expired. Surely you're not under the impression that people actually keep a TV for 20 years - there are no doubt people who do, but they're a minority, and outnumbered to a group of people who consume, consume, consume....[/citation]

anyone middle class when sd was the best you could get kept their tvs FAR longer than people who only ever had a hd tv do now.

but than again im the type of person who scrutanizes a 10$ purchase of something i wanted for a good 10 years... i know the value of a $ and thats what keeps me from being wasteful.

redturtleneck

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Did I just read ‘wearable electronics’?? OMG the day of people showing television on the chest like teletubby will finally come. Way to go LG .

jimmy_kohli

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Already mightily impressed with their 55" OLED 3D TV at the IFA Berlin 2012. Flexible OLED's might just prove to be the pinnacle of display technologies if and when they are launched commercially.

G

i don't want flexible oled displays IWANT OLED MONITORS. Whatis wrong with you guys? Why you are still manufacturing lcd TN or IPS models in 2012 ? this should be history by now!

jimmy_kohli

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
To this point, I had only known about the Samsung and LG OLED 3D TV's using this technology on a commercialized basis but it would be interesting to see how the same technology works on felxible displays with the constant wear and tear.

neel88

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
The big question is whether these flexible OLED's will be affordable. LG and Samsung already have their OLED 3D TV's in the fray, so it would be interesting to see how this development pans out..

jimmy_kohli

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Unbreakable sounds too mystical; I would say flexible makes more sense in case of these OLED displays. But it's gonna have to be a gradual progression from OLED TV's to these bendable screens.

Status
Not open for further replies.