LG Says It Won't Be Making the Nexus 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
As usual, Toms doesnt have the full story. It has already been clarified that they said "They are not CURRENTLY working on the Nexus 5". Funny how other websites reported this story earlier, and then gave the correction, but toms is both late AND incorrect.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Didn't Verizon get the Droid DNA (HTC Butterfly) which is on a whole another level by it self. The good thing about Verizon is that they do not let HTC plague their line up with phones like AT&T does. The HTC One series is a prime example of this, they have 4 versions on AT&T alone...

fiduce

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I would not design another Nexus with a company that has supply problems during Christmas holidays while selling the same hardware.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I thought the actual story is that LG doesn't want to make another Nexus device (ever) because they lose out on marketing their OS skins and UI's (which really, let's face it, is one of the few differentiating things between android handset makers).
Honestly, despite the complaints with various handset makers' UI's, I think LG's UI 3.0 on the LG Optimus G is perfect. It doesn't lag, and settings and features are much more accessible vs. vanilla android UI. I actually don't like vanilla Android 4.1+ UI in comparison, and wish it was easier to get LG's UI 3.0 on all my devices.

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009

I like to make my calls with my smartphone, and my massages with Asian masseuses.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010

i5 ya, but S4, ehh... One thing that is critical for me is extended memory and for some ungodly reason, HTC took it out. My EVOs had it and now the One is missing it. So I went S4 this time. Other then being so darn thin and having a plastic back, it's a darn nice phone and really, at least Sprint's version has very minimal bloat on it that can't be completely removed or at least disabled.

I really don't care how much internal memory they have cause the extended cards are where everything will go and where my information, videos, etc will be and I have 64G UHC1 cards by the stacks from my cameras that I stick into my phones that give me a mere 10M/20M performance in my S4 (better then the EVO though) but not the full 30M the card could do).

As for apps to the SD card, the phone has 10G of space just for apps alone... that's plenty for apps that you'll install. If you have more apps then that, you're doing something wrong or just an app whore and need to re-evaluate your life. Or there are the 32/64G versions with more room. I'm not a fan of the emulated sdcard folder but... it really shouldn't ever be a true killer of stopping me from doing anything. And for people who root their phones, they could care less.

Honestly, if the One had an SD card slot, I would have gone that route, but for some reason, HTC removed it. Why ohh why?!? With what I do, I have a collection of about 6 SD cards with my music, movies, etc. on them for traveling, etc. On the S4, one nice thing is I don't even have to shut it off to swap it out (if I'm careful to not pop out the battery since the card slides out the side instead of the battery slot). With the One, I'd have to store them to some other media, laptop, portable drive, etc. and pull out some other device to power up, plug in and wait forever while gigs of data swap around... also burning up battery doing a hard data write. Swapping memory sticks are just SO much more convenient. Especially when my laptops also have a memory slot on them also so I can just plug them in there when I get to the hotel, home, etc. I have true, fully portable entertainment. HTC dropped the ball to save $0.02 on a memory port per phone. Bummer too, I liked my other HTCs and the One was in my cross-hairs until the specs came out. Just didn't understand it.

I really don't give a crap what the phone physically looks like... plastic, aluminum... etc... how thin, heavy etc... I care how it WORKS. How much battery life it has. How the screen, CPU, etc works. Honestly, the S4 could be a bit thicker and heavier for my tastes. Add a thicker battery too. When the Seido extended is released I'll pick that up for sure. But dropping the SD slot for aluminum shell? Asinine!

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
"However we do not need such a marketing success again." This makes no sense coming from a company executive. Why stop something that is successful unless there is a huge reason LG/Google is not letting out.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008

Perhaps because a marketing success does not directly translate into financial success.

scythe944

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
All I want to see is a CDMA version. What's the hold up with that? I couldn't care less if it were white, I just want to be able to use it on networks other than ATT / TMo.

bentonsl_2010

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
"While speaking to All About Phones, Won Kim said LG wouldn't do the same because there's no value in it for LG" This is why LG fails the value doesn't come from making money. The value comes for exposure to the public, the public liking your product and then buying more of it. Which then makes you more money. Ask samsung they started making the nexus and the galaxy took off. Please stop being selfish in your views.

Status
Not open for further replies.