LG VS ASUS, warrenty vs none, and more..

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Hello guys,
I have a big dillema here.
I currently have a 24 inches DELL 2407WEP LCD monitor, its about 6-7 years old and I want to replace it.
I'm looking for the best LED monitor for gaming: with low response times, high contrast ratios, high brightness, good slim design, awesome colors, great performance, and finally IPS not TN panel!
It's very hard to get IPS monitors nowdays, especially here in Israel...

After a long research I came out with 2 options: ASUS VS248H-P or LG IPS237L.

1st Option:
From tiger direct: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236174
The ASUS VS247H-P or VS248H-P, are probably the best monitors for gaming and for the buck, with their 2 ms, 1: 50 M (seems fishy..) contrast, 300 Brightness, and 24 inche full HDMI IPS..
If I was in the States I would have bought this, no questions asked, but buying internationally from TigerDirect, means wire-transfer payment = going to the bank and doing manual transfer, including fees (such as 25$ from TD themselves).
That would also include 16% + possible 15% = meaning 1/3 TAX cost for customs.
Biggest issue probably is: NO WARRENTY what-so-ever. So if something goes wrong, I'm screwed.

2nd Option: LG IPS237L
http://www.goldtop.co.il/show_details.asp?prod_id=36840&catid=#details
Couldn't find good info of this monitor online in english though.
Seems like the specs are not as good as the former, with 5ms response, 250 cd brightness, 23 inches instead of 24, yet it is IPS. And strangely enough 1:5 million contrast.
On the plus side I get a monitor that looks great, that people still like pretty much, and more importantly a 3 year warrenty and someone to refer to if something goes wrong..

I don't know... 5 million response/ 50 million/ some companys say 10 m, or just 1000:1 I really don't know how those numbers work..

Please, I would appreciate any help you could offer me. Help me decide.
It pains me that the LG is 5 Ms, 23 inches instead of 24 of ASUS, and less bright..

THANK YOU.

DiaSin

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Go with the VS248H-P. I am using one right now and I love it. I have the little booklet that came with the monitor on my desk in front of me, it says 3 year full replacement warranty, free shipping for US and CAN, which I assume means elsewhere you still have a warranty just you pay shipping. I can tell you right now the contrast blows away my old 19" dell LCD monitor and even the 22" LED TV that has now become a secondary display.

shamsmu

Honorable
May 30, 2012
I have a soft spot for asus myself and I know they are rock solid. But I ***ing love the looks of that lg monitor particularly the thin bazel. I have been using the same 23'' 3d lg monitor for 4 years (and another 19'' for 7 years)and never been dissatisfied with them. So yeah I wouldn't mind getting that LG at all especially cause of its looks. Some hardcore multiplayer gamers may consider 5ms(milli second) slow but I reckon ips makes up for it. So I vote for the LG.

http://www.lg.com/hk_en/monitors/lg-IPS237L

I think this is the one

DiaSin

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Actually.. despite the amazing contrast ratio, I am not sure the VS248H-P I have is an IPS panel. It does not say that ANYWHERE. It kind of surprised me when you listed it as an IPS since I have owned one since christmas.

Edit: Yeah, I do not even see IPS on the official ASUS page. There is a higher model that is IPS however. By the way, the 50Mil contrast ratio is with this gimicky "Asus Smart Contrast Ratio" where it will adjust the backlight depending on whats on the screen. When it works its great, but on certain things it messes up, like the loading screens on Black Ops 2, the text that says Call of Duty vanishes with ASCR enabled, so I just leave that disabled most of the time.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Aside from the looks, what can you tell me of the quality of this LG monitor? (LG IPS237L).
Also, the guy from the shop seems decent enough, he claims these are new monitors... and that the ASUS are older and therefore unavailable.
I am sure though, no REAL way to get the warrenty for ASUS, even if there was one, it's way too difficult and not worth the effort.

I have a good feeling about LG.. I just really need a gamer's opinion about it, and the specs..

EDIT: OH and thanks for the quick help, and yeah thats the LG monitor!

shamsmu

Honorable
May 30, 2012

even though I am a hardcore gamer myself, I don't really worry about all the extra gimmicky features of the monitors. All I care about is the resolution and the refresh rates. At the end of the day that's all that matters. The fact that the LG one is an ips means you get a much wider viewing angle. Even though there are heaps of 2ms monitors nowadays, most of them are NOT ips. 5ms is actually pretty fast for an ips monitor- Gaming wise it should be more than good enough even during competitive multiplayer gameplay. Overall, the pc component you'd be looking at the most is the monitor so it has to look good in terms of design, style etc. Hence, my vote goes to LG.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

Great, thanks. Feel like my sensitive and dry eyes get weary or painful way too quickly with my old 24 DEL screen. The glare is too hard. Also Whte colors doesn't seems white enough, games could have looked better.

I am going LED especially for the color, contrast and other quality aspect. I hope LG IPS237L can deliver. I know some people are amazed by this monitor, but the same goes for the ASUS one.