[SOLVED] lga 2011 xeon cpu

Soviet45

BANNED
Aug 28, 2021
found good deals on lga 2011 motherboards just 30$ off a dell workstation

now all i need is a good 8+ core cpu
i don’t know much about their pricing and would it even be possible to perhaps get 10 12 or even 14 cores for 50$?

oh and once we’re done with that ill need advice on some cheap bundle ram and a cheap cooler for the build

went online, saw these xeons dominate at bf5, time to buy one and i’ll actually keep it since they were 2k at one point or another

for 150$ i could have a fantastic 8/10/12 core pc. was going to build a fx or phenom but i’m not spending money on that, not worth it. xeons could actually perform really well and in multicore even beat a 9900k

so what do you guys suggest?

this is a build that won’t even lose value over time unlike the i9 that i immediately sold rofl

not very familiar with xeons but from looking at benchmarks they’re definitely the greatest price to performance chips ever

wish they had more colorful motherboards but whatever, i can paint it red

so yea need any information on building it

Solution
There is no LGA 2011 processor that will hold a candle to a 9900k In ANY desktop style workload anywhere, ever, period.

The fact you even mentioned FX and Phenom which are complete dogs in todays world in the same breath tells me you haven't thought this through.

The only time a Xeon LGA2011 based processor would beat a 9900k is in a large multicore workload as in something that needs well beyond the 8 cores and 16 threads the 9900k can handle. Every one has lower IPC and slower clocks, its not physically possible for one to beat a 9900k in any single core or normal desktop multicore workload.

this is a build that won’t even lose value over time unlike the i9 that i immediately sold rofl

There is a reason old server...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
found good deals on lga 2011 motherboards just 30$ off a dell workstation

now all i need is a good 8+ core cpu
i don’t know much about their pricing and would it even be possible to perhaps get 10 12 or even 14 cores for 50$?

oh and once we’re done with that ill need advice on some cheap bundle ram and a cheap cooler for the build

went online, saw these xeons dominate at bf5, time to buy one and i’ll actually keep it since they were 2k at one point or another

for 150$ i could have a fantastic 8/10/12 core pc. was going to build a fx or phenom but i’m not spending money on that, not worth it. xeons could actually perform really well and in multicore even beat a 9900k

so what do you guys suggest?

not very familiar with xeons but from looking at benchmarks they’re definitely the greatest price to performance chips ever

wish they had more colorful motherboards but whatever, i can paint it red

so yea need any information on building it

What exactly is your use case? From your NUMEROUS threads about you complaining about your 9900K, the problem appears to be more your expectations of what performance is geared towards than any problem with the 9900K. Now you're glomming onto workstation Xeon CPUs as some magic panacea to blow you away in simple Windows performance. You'd get better advice if your goals, needs, and budget were a little more focused rather than what is now 68 or so very confusing posts over two weeks.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
There is no LGA 2011 processor that will hold a candle to a 9900k In ANY desktop style workload anywhere, ever, period.

The fact you even mentioned FX and Phenom which are complete dogs in todays world in the same breath tells me you haven't thought this through.

The only time a Xeon LGA2011 based processor would beat a 9900k is in a large multicore workload as in something that needs well beyond the 8 cores and 16 threads the 9900k can handle. Every one has lower IPC and slower clocks, its not physically possible for one to beat a 9900k in any single core or normal desktop multicore workload.

There is a reason old server hardware is cheap. The stuff sits on the market at that price, in a couple years it will be fully worthless. I often toss old server hardware in the trash as its literally not worth my time and storage space to try and sell.

Solution
this is a build that won’t even lose value over time
You're right, it won't. Because it's ALREADY lost all the value it once had, except as mentioned by Rogue leader, in a VERY narrow use case where the multicore workload can ACTUALLY make use of ALL the cores and threads. And that is only likely to happen in a server environment. Even then, the 9900k might probably have still beat any of those old Xeons in many of those workloads anyway.

The ONLY way I'd recommend somebody might want to look at this kind of hardware, in this day and age, would be if they were looking to upgrade from something even OLDER than the hardware you're talking about. Honestly, as has been mentioned already, it's a senseless proposition and the fact that you had problems with your 9900k likely means you'll have problems with whatever you go with because the problems you had were almost certainly not related to the CPU or the platform, but to something else like the use of an existing Windows installation instead of doing a clean install, or a failing drive, or a crappy power supply, or something. Assuredly, it was not because of the CPU. That CPU is extremely capable, right now, today, whether for running any desktop application out there or for gaming, at a very high level.

You need to reboot your thought process otherwise you are going backwards.

Soviet45

BANNED
Aug 28, 2021
oh… yea i sold the 9900k for profit

it was much better than 4460 tbh

and the dual core i had previously

i will be using the xeon for mainly playing runescape so it’s quite capable, bit of editing and some streaming possibly

xeons are better in extreme workloads so youd have to be running like 50 clients or something which is good for me

i only need cores for this game because i will be playing on many accounts and they keep making it much more demanding. like a 4 core will have a hard time running multiple clients at once without dropping framerates dramatically.

so that tells to to try and aim for even 10/12 cores if possible. now this isnt your everyday gamer, this is someone who plays even at 10 accounts which means 10 clients at once. not going to say 9900k did too smoothly at that, it struggled a bit

now its an amazing upgrade over a dual core ofcourse but at the same time it’s nothing special…

i made the 9900k hit 100% usage quite easily and same goes for 4460 while my anthlon was always there

i gotta say the smoothest experience i had was with a 1950x oh that was a good cpu, amazing! my friend got it for an amazing deal, around 150 and i borrowed it. it was 64gb too, those extra cores help so much.

so now i just want a cheap lil 12 core xeon if possible

maybe even dual xeon? oh wait that’s too many watts

i wanted a phenom build for fun, out of a hobby. has nothing to do with a build. now its all about the xeons since fx and phenom are a waste of money

for a person who needs many cores, i don’t even see a reason to buy a brand new pc unless its next gen intel or amd.

all i care about is cpu percentage not hitting above 75 and we’re good to go

unless you guys know a cheaper way to get 10/12 cores don’t say i9 is better cuz its not

in my case an old xeon is better than an i9

also that higher operating temperature is a huge plus.

so which 10/12 core is the cheapest? i’ll even do 14 or more cores if price is right

unless you guys know a cheaper way to get 10/12 cores don’t say i9 is better cuz its not

in my case an old xeon is better than an i9
Believing a thing is real, doesn't make it that way. But hey, it's your money and your time, if you want to waste both of them that's completely your right and nobody can tell you otherwise. All we can do is try to offer you legitimate advice based on FACTS, and the fact is, there is no way, ever, in ANY scenario, that a 10 year old LGA 2011 Xeon processor, regardless of what model you choose, is going to be as capable for gaming or desktop application type workloads, which I've never, EVER seen fully utilize 10 or 12 cores, nevermind the additional hyperthreads, as a modern i9. There's just no way that any of those older Xeons could possibly outperform, or even keep up with, a 9900k in gaming and I don't care what game it is, it doesn't happen.

But as always, they're your dollars, you can spend them any way you want.

Believing a thing is real, doesn't make it that way. But hey, it's your money and your time, if you want to waste both of them that's completely your right and nobody can tell you otherwise. All we can do is try to offer you legitimate advice based on FACTS, and the fact is, there is no way, ever, in ANY scenario, that a 10 year old LGA 2011 Xeon processor, regardless of what model you choose, is going to be as capable for gaming or desktop application type workloads, which I've never, EVER seen fully utilize 10 or 12 cores, nevermind the additional hyperthreads, as a modern i9. There's just no way that any of those older Xeons could possibly outperform, or even keep up with, a 9900k in gaming and I don't care what game it is, it doesn't happen.

You put it much more diplomatically than I could have done, why ask for advice when you're 100% set on a bad idea?

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Soviet45

BANNED
Aug 28, 2021
you know what it is a horrible idea

im not going to waste my money and time

50$ for 32gb of ram, 35$ for motherboard, 25$ for 8 core cpu which is a great deal btw, and then you need 30$ cpu cooler

that is around 150 but let’s say we got it for 100

mate who knows even if the motherboard works, who knows if the cpu works properly, its a huge risk

its such a huge compatibility issue trying to fit all the pieces together.

i mean we all know old mobos are horrible especially if made by dell, lenovo, hp, etc. id only trust an old asus but any good brand lga 2011 is like 250$

the better mobos are 75 and i guarantee they’re better than the 35$ one

but let’s say we want it even cheaper
mobo 35
cpu 15
ram 20 for 16gb
cpu cooler 25
wtf is a 16gb xeon?

literally you can get 3700x+mobo for 300 at microcenter add 125-175$ and you’ve got 32gb ram

that’s a 450$ build brand new, realistically it’s 300$ more than the xeon build but totally worth it

oh and the old xeons only do pcie2? that’s not too good, pcie 3 much better

so literally unless i could get the xeon build for 50$ i’m not doing it

im not spending 30$ on a horrible cpu cooler
not spending 75$ on a 10 yo mobo from lenovo, asus yea, lenovo no

can’t even overclock on the stock boards

so in reality are xeons worth it? yes! if you already have ddr3 memory and a cpu cooler then you get a 30$ board and a 15$ 8 core cpu. for 50$ you get an amazing pc but it’s not worth it for me, it’s way too outdated

tbh i honestly think that i9 i sold had some issues, idk man it should’ve performed much better. that’s why i sold it quickly. i bought it for really cheap too

what do you guys think i should get? im either going to get 3700x with 64gb, or 12900k 128gb, or possibly next gen ryzen

i don’t trust old mobos, ima build a new pc that i’ll have for the next 5+ years.

i would’ve gotten the 3700x already if the royal wasnt so expensive! man 200$ for 32gb🤢🤮

yet the royal elite is 700 for 128gb

i don’t need all that ram but you know gotta keep the pc looking beautiful which i wouldn’t of gotten with a xeon

guess i’ll just wait for “new” pc components

The only way an ivy bridge could beat a coffee refresh is by overclocking it that much in ALL CORES, which is a xeon E5 2xxx cant do, but 16xx could do, and yea i agree with you that it couldn't ever beat 9900K in a realistic way in performance, but in prices.

Remember @Soviet45 that you might want just go with ivy bridge xeons since theyre better than sandy bridge with bumped all core boost. 2667 v2 costs $120 maybe but it got 8 cores and 16 thread and 3.6Ghz all core and it is pretty good for the price. if you want faster and better performance at the same ghz like 2667 v2, go for a 1700x.

Soviet45

BANNED
Aug 28, 2021
The only way an ivy bridge could beat a coffee refresh is by overclocking it that much in ALL CORES, which is a xeon E5 2xxx cant do, but 16xx could do, and yea i agree with you that it couldn't ever beat 9900K in a realistic way in performance, but in prices.

Remember @Soviet45 that you might want just go with ivy bridge xeons since theyre better than sandy bridge with bumped all core boost. 2667 v2 costs $120 maybe but it got 8 cores and 16 thread and 3.6Ghz all core and it is pretty good for the price. if you want faster and better performance at the same ghz like 2667 v2, go for a 1700x.
at this point i’ll wait for 12th gen and hopefully it isn’t a huge disappointment like this one

seriously don’t wanna spend money on cpu coolers, it’s literally more than the cpu+memory combined!

the 8 core xeon is just for 8 cores, didn’t care too much about performance

those mobos don’t look too good, they’re green and look cheap

i had the chance to get 16gb 4x4 of hyper fury for 22$ but i didn’t care

i really wanted a phenom for fun but mate 1100t is 100+$

only thing better than a single xeon would be 4 of them! rofl that’s 4x cpu coolers

xeons are amazing chips but everything else is so expensive it’s not even worth it

i would make one if the cpu coolers weren’t 30$ and if they had nice motherboards

those mobos look horrible and cheap and can’t overclock

plus e7 xeon is for supercomputers and cant find the mobos anywhere, might as well get 1950x

at this point i’ll wait for 12th gen and hopefully it isn’t a huge disappointment like this one

seriously don’t wanna spend money on cpu coolers, it’s literally more than the cpu+memory combined!

the 8 core xeon is just for 8 cores, didn’t care too much about performance

those mobos don’t look too good, they’re green and look cheap

i had the chance to get 16gb 4x4 of hyper fury for 22$ but i didn’t care

i really wanted a phenom for fun but mate 1100t is 100+$

only thing better than a single xeon would be 4 of them! rofl that’s 4x cpu coolers

xeons are amazing chips but everything else is so expensive it’s not even worth it

i would make one if the cpu coolers weren’t 30$ and if they had nice motherboards

those mobos look horrible and cheap and can’t overclock

plus e7 xeon is for supercomputers and cant find the mobos anywhere, might as well get 1950x
if 1950X is good for you then you might want to wait until ryzen 9 3900x, 3950x or even 5900x, 5950x to come down in price. and use a good cooler like noctua nh d15 and it will tame the beast. If you want a good performing pc with very good performing price, you must know what you're buying. Good cooler, psu, mobo, will give you the best performance and experience.

Soviet45

BANNED
Aug 28, 2021
if 1950X is good for you then you might want to wait until ryzen 9 3900x, 3950x or even 5900x, 5950x to come down in price.
oh yea those are really nice, might actually get 5900x if it’s on a good promotion

only issue is cpu cooler, corsair 150i should be like 150$ and thermaltake p8 case should be 200

the only real reason to wait for next gen is pcie5 for the gpus neither of us will get

we might be able to get a gpu at pcie 10

i’ll see, if 12900k and all other things that go with it don’t seem like they’re worth it i’ll get something a bit more affordable

because in all honesty all i need is 32+gb, 8+ cores and i’m good

so if i see 12th gen is anything similar to 11th, i’ll immediately get 3700x

11700k would also be a phenomenal buy if mobos were 200 but then again 12700k probably going to be a good buy in couple months after release but i wanna upgrade asap so idc

unless amd is selling a 32 core chip for 500 i won’t wait for am5. so it’s either 12900k, 11700k or 3700x with the possibility of 5900x if good deal

3700x is such an amazing cpu tho at 65watts so i can literally cool it with a case fan if i wanted to and it comes with free cooler

man 12th better not be a huge disappointment otherwise i’ll never buy intel again only amd

only issue is cpu cooler, corsair 150i
Do you really need that cooler? a noctua nh u12a or nh d15 should be enough.

the only real reason to wait for next gen is pcie5
As if only pcie gen 5 is a normal thing, no real benefit is out from it for now. even pcie gen 4 didn't receive much live like gen 3 did.

i’ll see, if 12900k and all other things that go with it don’t seem like they’re worth it i’ll get something a bit more affordable

because in all honesty all i need is 32+gb, 8+ cores and i’m good

so if i see 12th gen is anything similar to 11th, i’ll immediately get 3700x

11700k would also be a phenomenal buy if mobos were 200 but then again 12700k probably going to be a good buy in couple months after release but i wanna upgrade asap so idc

unless amd is selling a 32 core chip for 500 i won’t wait for am5. so it’s either 12900k, 11700k or 3700x with the possibility of 5900x if good deal

3700x is such an amazing cpu tho at 65watts so i can literally cool it with a case fan if i wanted to and it comes with free cooler

man 12th better not be a huge disappointment otherwise i’ll never buy intel again only amd
there is alot of reviews and leaks for 12th gen performance. thats why if you need 12cores + go for 3000 series or 5000 series ryzen 9.

Soviet45

BANNED
Aug 28, 2021
Do you really need that cooler? a noctua nh u12a or nh d15 should be enough.

As if only pcie gen 5 is a normal thing, no real benefit is out from it for now. even pcie gen 4 didn't receive much live like gen 3 did.

there is alot of reviews and leaks for 12th gen performance. thats why if you need 12cores + go for 3000 series or 5000 series ryzen 9.
oh yea if i get 12900k its getting all the argb possible 200$ cooler, 300$ case, pointless hundreds of dollars spent on fans but that’s only if i feel like it’s worth getting. i literally upgrade once every 10 years or so

if i think 12900k is a waste then i’m just getting 3700x, stock fan which has leds, some old case or whatever’s on sale and royal

but sadly with 12900k id get everything including 128gb of royal elite

i always said i’m either going to build greatest pc i can or ill get whatever

3700x is amazing but not in a way that it needs 18 fans inside a p8 case

for me it’s once in a lifetime build, i spent lots of money on my last build which was an anthlon. i still have my computer pictures all over old websites such as xoxide. like it got so much attention people included it in some yt videos as tribute

so yea if i get 12900k thousands will be spent, if i get 3700x i’ll spend like 1k at max and i’ll just upgrade in couple years when time is right

the only thing that will keep me from getting 12900k might be horrible motherboard design. if i don’t like it, it wont fit argb, and then ill refuse to spend extra money. this is why i didn’t get 1950x i waited for a motherboard as beautiful as rampage vi extreme but sadly all other mobos are fugly🤢🤮

was going to get 11700k well mobos look horrible so i didn’t wanna put royal on it. to me i prefer looks over performance

my last upgrade for my anthlon was a 200$ argb psu…

i really hope they add argb all over the motherboards and ill get em

also wish they started adding ram slots on both sides of mobo, would look so much better

also more cases need a side psu mount like thermaltake p8 so that i can show off my argb psu

i’m never going to need all this for runescape rofl

even when i bought a car i spent extra 15k just to have top of the line model even tho i definitely didn’t need it so im same with pc

i really don’t wanna spend money on cosmetics but i have to…

itd be funny if next gen ryzen is much better than intel which is why i should get whatevers on sale tbh. ill see. it’s always the horrible looking motherboards that are keeping me from making the decision