LGA 775 new processor...or not ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkena

Commendable
Jun 12, 2017
Hi,

So my pc is getting long in the tooth but due to circumstances i dont have the money to buy a much needed new pc.

The biggest weakness my pc seems to have is its processor being a:

Pentium dual core E5800 3.2 Ghz processor

its a LGA 775 socket chip...

Im thinking of spending £150-200 on a new cpu...or at this point in my pc's lifespan is upgrading a waste of money given i cant get a new one anytime soon???

Aditionally my GPU is a AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series how long before i HAVE to upgrade it ?

thank you :)

You're looking at this the wrong way. You are concentrating on what you can upgrade. You need to focus on what you hope to accomplish, what do you hope to gain? It might not be possible with this computer.

I can't say, because you have not said what you are hoping to run on this computer.

Also, telling us the socket doesn't help. Telling us the make and model of the motherboard helps. If all you can do is upgrade to a faster dual core, there's no point. If your motherboard accepts a quad core and your needs are modest, it might be worth it. The videocard would probably serve you a little longer if you had a better CPU, but once again without knowing exactly what you're using it for I can't say for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.