LG's Curved OLED TV Arrives in US, Samsung's Ships This Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I'd like to see this marvel that is OLED. Definitely not ready for the general consumer at that price point. I hope it or the 4k Tvs come down in price fast.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
While I haven't seen one of these in person, I can't imagine why having a curved screen would be a benefit, unless it was massive (say 100+ inches). Can anyone here comment on them?

tomallen

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Who buys TVs for $15,000!? Maybe companies and stuff, but that's like way over the top on price. Maybe if it was in the $3-5,000 range. The color will probably be amazing. I wonder how much the manufacturing cost was and how it compares to the actual cost. The dual view sounds like the wrong direction to go with TVs... There's something to be said for watching a show with other people... I wonder how the sound works with that. They'd have to wear headphones, so no surround sound or anything. Unless they invented dual-hearing speakers. And there's a filter thingy that goes in your ear. :)

helz IT

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
I question the curve on a TV, too. It seems like it'd be great for monitors because you're sitting close enough where it'd actually you, but it doesn't make a lot of sense in a living room.

Nevertheless, I'm glad they're finally being released. Only about 5 years to go and I can buy one.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
was formally introduced to Americans at a VIP launch event on Monday at Best Buy's flagship Magnolia Design Center store in Richfield, Minn.

Does anyone shop at BestBuy?

I guess they don't actually plan to sell any of these things.

"...two different live TV programs simultaneously thanks to the company's Multi View technology. This is accomplished by using two sets of 3D glasses which allows one viewer to watch one program and another to watch something completely different. Typically these glasses will flash two altered but similar frames of the same program to create a 3D effect."

This is exactly what I wanted for console's sports games ages ago... all those cheaters tryin to figure out which play Im about to go with haha =)

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
It's only a 55 inch screen. When viewing from the couch, say 5 feet away, and seated perfectly centered, the edge of the screen is only about 4.6 inches further away than the center. Hardly worth all the effort to "correct" for this difference. (Math: 55 inch diagonal means a 48 inch screen width. Distance to edge of screen can be calculated using Pythagorean theorem: sqrt(5^2 + 2^2) = 5.385 feet. Difference of .385 feet, or 4.62 inches)
Now, what is the curvature of the screen? It has to assume an ideal viewing distance before the ideal curve can be determined. Is there a single viewing distance that all owners of this TV will agree on? Not to mention a 55 inch screen is a major downgrade for anyone with that kind of money to spend. Given all these reasons, hard to see why they would bother to do this.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
This is rather dumb for TVs. You will need to be directly in front of the display for a good picture. Sure its good for 1 or 2 person viewing, but would suck for a family.

However, for computer monitors....i cant wait. I would love a 3840x1080(39"x11" ish) or so curved desktop display.

Tho ideally id like twice the pixel density in that size for a better image, ie 7680x2160 still at 39"x11". And ya i realize that there is no GPU on the market or in the near future that could push a monitor with that many pixels.

tomallen

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013

Doesn't the new (coming this fall) Mac Pro support four 4k screens simultaneously? That's 2 screens the size your talking about.

djr121260

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
WHAT A CURVED TV CAN DO? It consume space, it display the back body, awkward to paste it on the wall. It is great for a style at the corner of your house but you need to spend 12K more from that compare to the same flat TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS