LG's Optimus G: A Viable Alternative to the Nexus 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Only problem I see is it costs close if not twice as much.

azade

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Wow, terrible advice. The bad thing about the Nexus 4 is the fact that LG made it(!). No one in their right mind about pick a phone with a crappy, bloated skinned version of Android when they can get stock Android.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
A) I am a fan of LG. They make good stuff.
B) I would prefer the Nexus because personally I prefer getting updates and skinned Android. I also acknowledge that not everyone likes clean installs of Android.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Jane, are you missing the point? The Nexus 4 is an extremely attractive choice due to price, features, and stock android. If I wanted a $500-$600 phone or to be locked into a pricey contract, I would have bought the GSIII last summer when it came out. The Nexus 4 is for people like me who are on pay as you go plans. I am loving Straight Talk at $45 vs AT&T at $100. Thank you for the article on the Optimus G. I actually went in and got a feel for it to see if I thought the Nexus 4 would be worth it and it seemed like a nice unit. I would gladly sacrifice 4G for all the money I'm saving and 16GB is more than enough storage space for me.

clownbaby

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
Optimus G is surely a great phone, but I don't see how it's a better choice than any other top end Android phones. The reason the Nexus 4 is great is the price point. Calling a phone that costs twice as much a viable replacement doesn't make a lick of sense.

Obviously there are other reasons to buy a nexus 4, but the most attractive part of its package is that you can buy a top end phone and save many hundreds of dollars over being tied to a contract with a subsidized phone.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
The real bizarre thing is that the Nexus 4 is made by LG and has the latest OS on it. Yet LG doesn't know when it will be able to get the latest OS onto their virtually the same Optimus phone.

Similar to how Samsung's Nexus offerings in the past have been close relatives of the company's Galaxy S line, the Nexus 4 (which is LG's first Google-branded phone) is a lot like the Nexus 4.
Perhaps you meant a log like the Optimus G? Although it is true that a given phone is similar to itself.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]WyomingKnott[/nom]Perhaps you meant a log like the Optimus G? Although it is true that a given phone is similar to itself.[/citation]
I wondered if I was the only one to notice that. If Zak had written that he'd of been crucified in the comments.

G

Everyone who owns an Optimus G (LGOG) felt like the phone is a great device. The AT&T version has a memory expansion slot with a 16gb micro sd card included + 16gb internal. The Sprint version comes with 32gb but no expansion slot. LG UI on this phone is actually great. I am getting 2 days + of battery life from medium use. I got the phone for $99 from Bestbuy mobile + a free LG bluetooth headset ($70) + 2 year contracts with AT&T. AT&T 4G LTE gives 67mb download/19mb upload at where I live, DFW Texas. The Nexus 4 shipping time is still 6-7 weeks out. For me, this is a much better alternative, especially knowing how similar this phone internally to the Nexus 4, the custom Roms developing will be nice on this phone.

G

I was eagerly anticipating the Nexus 4 and unsuccessfully to buy it (twice). Google dropped the ball (twice). Google can talk all they want about having the greatest phone, but it's all abstract if the phone is unavailable. How could they announce something in October, release it in November and not have a stockpile ready to go for a)Thanksgiving and b) Christmas season? I gave up waiting and got the Optimus G, and the only reason I knew about the Optimus G is because of all the tech reviews of the Nexus 4. The only people who are crazy enough to wait for two months for a phone should be camping out at an Apple store. What good is having access to the latest version of Android *if you have to wait for the phone??* Sick of waiting for the Nexus? Get an Optimus.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]clownbaby[/nom]Optimus G is surely a great phone, but I don't see how it's a better choice than any other top end Android phones. The reason the Nexus 4 is great is the price point. Calling a phone that costs twice as much a viable replacement doesn't make a lick of sense.Obviously there are other reasons to buy a nexus 4, but the most attractive part of its package is that you can buy a top end phone and save many hundreds of dollars over being tied to a contract with a subsidized phone.[/citation]

Its not a top end phone, that's why its priced where it is.

1. No LTE
2. No expandable SD
3. 8GB and 16GB models only

This is why its priced where it is and not a top end Android. It cannot compete against other flagship phones.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I buy nothing but pure google nexus phones which are guaranteed to be optimized for and will run the latest software as soon as it hits availability. If you're a developer it's even more worth getting a nexus phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.