LG's Shows Off World's Thinnest OLED TV at CES

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]nitrium[/nom]You mean "grammar". Just trying to help with the spelling![/citation]
Yet you didn't catch the 'too' misuse? They always fall for it...

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]gsacks[/nom]That is thin enough. You can stop now.[/citation]
LoL so true

[citation][nom]GoldenI[/nom]It's not thin enough - in about ten years I can see LED/OLED TVs being paper thin... literally, paper thin.[/citation]
I don't think so... in order to make them "literally, paper thin" you need some very thin yet very strong material, that doesn't bend at all. There's no such thing. even carbon fiber needs some sort of support to keep it from bending. on the other hand, maybe they'll make something like a paint, or wallpaper, that you just need to apply on your wall. now that would be awesome.
[citation][nom]chaosgs[/nom]Is "Infinite Contrast Ratio" even possible?[/citation]
Yep, you just need to have nano black-holes to display the black and nuclear fusion to display the white parts. :) or they might just mean that it is as much as the human eye can detect.

[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]Yet you didn't catch the 'too' misuse? They always fall for it...[/citation]
Ha ha. I did actually , but I thought it might just possibly have been intentional since that was word initially being defined for incorrect use.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
31 inches? On the market soon? I can finally buy an OLED TV? =D I've been holding out on a Tele since my old 19" CRT broke. I may wait longer still, but now I want one.

As for the thinness. How do you stick an HDMI cable in it? Or an Ethernet cable? Or AV cables is what I'm really worried about.

Edit: I had a brain fart, apparently it's the base.

[citation][nom]decrypted[/nom]Firstly, this is an amazing looking TV, but cost will kill ya. I wish these companies would stop trying to make them thinner, and fix some of the issues that seem to appear year after year, namely true blacks (not dusty chalk board they call deep black), color accuracy, higher color bit depth to eliminate banding, input lag for gamers, floating blacks, and static contrast ratio of at least 10k:1. Wishful thinking I guess.[/citation]
OLEDs actually do pretty completely solve those problems. Blacks are true black, color accuracy can definitely be there, they can control luminance very accurately (no banding), and they have very low input lag. All OLED screens have static contrast ratios >100k:1 (and in most cases effectively infinite). Their only real issues at the moment are lifetime and price, and lifetime isn't even that much of an issue any more (price definitely is though).

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
OLED is the only and true CRT successor. It's indeed awesome by itself. Having a Cowon S9 with and AMOLED screen just make you drool.

I currently have a 15.8" CRT. I hate with all my might LCD (TN/LED). IPS panels are ok but even in the decent ones you have "IPS light leaks".

Just want a 20" 1600x900 / 23-24" 1920x1080 OLED monitor for $400-500. That would make my day.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]31 inches? On the market soon? I can finally buy an OLED TV? =D I've been holding out on a Tele since my old 19" CRT broke. I may wait longer still, but now I want one.As for the thinness. How do you stick an HDMI cable in it? Or an Ethernet cable? Or AV cables is what I'm really worried about.Edit: I had a brain fart, apparently it's the base.[/citation]
No, I think you were right to begin with. What if you want to wall mount it, which to me seems to be the point of a thin T.V. in the first place.

LMF5000

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
An infinity to one contrast ratio is indeed possible:

Normal LCDs work by lighting the entire panel with a backlight, then selectively blocking part of the light from each individual subpixel darkening the liquid crystal material in front of each subpixel - so how "black" a black pixel actually appears depends on how good the liquid crystals are at blocking out light - unfortunately they can't block out 100% of the light.

OLED displays don't have a backlight - each subpixel is an individual light-emitting diode and the TV applies the necessary voltage to get that LED to output the necessary* amount of light. What this means is that if you want a perfectly black pixel - apply a voltage of zero, so the LED making up that subpixel is completely off. Zero emitted light in the darkest pixels means a contrast ratio of [max intensity]/0 which equals infinity (assuming anything divided by zero equals infinity).

*The ratio between the red/green/blue light intensities of the subpixels determines the colour of each pixel.

curiousgeorgieo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
My dream is to press a button and my OLED screen shoots out of a slit in the ceiling or floor with no thick base and ideally suspends itself in the middle of the room so you can walk right around it with no wires.

haftarun8

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
If anyone doesn't believe the contrast ratio of OLED is as good as it gets, see for yourself at a high-end home theater store that still carries Sony's XEL-1 OLED TV. No TV I've ever seen has come close to the contrast that it did; nearly looked like you were looking out a window. Even viewing from the side offered the same color and contrast as it did dead on. It seemed sharper than any LCD or even plasma when high motion content was present; never blurring or lagging whatsoever. It also draws a fraction of the power of comparable tech. The ONLY downside? It's 11 inches and still costs $2,500...

Give it a few years. Once they're able to make the screens out of plastic rolls as they're planning as opposed to glass sheets, they can spit out almost any size and shape for a fraction of the cost of today's LCD and Plasma. In our lifetime you'll likely even see cheap transparent OLED 150" roll-up screens that look better than any movie theater projection when viewed in a dark room. They can't develop OLED tech fast enough, imho.

johnthetoolmaster

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
im speechless!!! This is the coolest thing i saw!! Its amazingly thin and killer graphics and display screen is so wide and really amazing quality and technology for tv!!

nate_kan

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
What ever people say, we have to admit that LG made a big step in OLED TV business. Excited to see what will happen to Display business this year.

nate_kan

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
[citation][nom]nimzy8849[/nom]Looks gorgeous! When this will be released? Can't wait to see it.[/citation]

LG didn't say the exact date yet for the release. Speculation tells that around July or August.

slrmichael

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Looks fantastic. I am not surprised that LG was awarded the CES Best. I believe the LG OLED will be coming out by the end of the month.

Mansukh

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
The mad race for thinner TVs and for fatter paychecks is never going to end! Too thin borders in TV is obscene in my opinion and may be achieved only by compromising on the strength and the capability of the TV to withstand rough handling. In other words you may have a thin TV but wouldn't be too delicate to handle?

Status
Not open for further replies.