Lian Li Announces PC-V700, Its Smallest ATX Case

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Why hasn't a company like Antec, Corsair, Cooler Msater, Lian Li, etc created a SFF case that's micro-ATX or mini-ITX? (and no, something like the Antec ISK 300-150 is too small) I mean a business SFF-like case. If they had one, for an internet browsing machine, I would seriously consider it.

larkspur

Distinguished
[citation][nom]twstd1[/nom]I think you mount the PSU with the exhaust facing the inside of the case that way the hot air will be sucked out of the back and top of the case the way it's designed.[/citation]

Thank you for the laugh. Reminds me why I never let others try to design my system for me.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Only to you... each their own. not everyone wants the same case. There are things I don't like in terms of its looks as well - but LianLi cases are super light because of its materials.Yep... also, since its a desktop-tower, it means it's blowing warm air onto your arm, etc.How many of US really need an ATX board? They make CF/SLI boards that are mATX. This is not the 90s in which we needed 6 slots! Pretty much anything I built lately has only 1 card (if that) - a gaming video card. I have a 2nd card, a TV tuner... thats enough.90's PCs, AT style only came with an AT Keyboard connector. Cards you needed:1 - I/O card which contains a Ser & Par ports (for mouse and Printers)2 - IDE controller for 4 drives (Eventually, VLB cards combined 1&2 together to save a slot)3 - Video card ($80~100, 2D card)4 - Gaming card ($150 Voodoo1)5 - Audio card ($100~200)6 - SCSI card.7 - Modem card.Ah... those were the days...! I don't miss them.I'd rather see a case like that which uses the MATX board (4 slots), put the PSU on the bottom like normal - in the REAR. This leaving room for 2 2.5 Drive bays on the bottom front... LONG GPU cards above the PSU... then a single 5" drive bay and 4 3.5" bays.[/citation]

i prefer bigger cases and boards whenever possible.

if i had the space, i would get a good sound card, good ones makes a difference when you also have good speakers and headphones

a tv tuner, mostly for dvr like functions, and may have multipule of them just because why not.

now god knows a pc today will still do most of what i need in 5-8 years, so some extra pciex16 slots would be nice, just to make sure anything that happens tech wise, i can fit into my computer.

ukee1593

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
The Lian Li cases are very good quality compared to Antec/CoolerMaster/ThermalTake, but you do pay for this!! This particular case from the Lian Li page is aimed as being a small case for Sandy-Bridge-E builds ++ where μATX boards are very rare, and are cut down versions (For example, the ASUS μATX board for 2011 socket does not have the full amount of RAM slots). Anyone who dropped $600 - $1000 on a CPU should be able to afford an extra $150 for a case.

That being said this particular case is VERY expensive. I personally could not warrant spending $250 on a case (and I have a Lian Li case myself) especially when the PC-A05FN is only $140 Australian and offers most of what PC-V700 does!

Also in defence of these small ATX cases --- While μATX board are good these days ... you cannot beat the wide range of ATX boards available. These small cases are also quite good to work in, the are surprisingly roomy and Lian-Li uses plenty of removable sections that allow you to build the computer outside the case, and then only slot it all together at the end.

Also the A-05FN reverses the airflow of the entire case so the computer doesn't draw in the exhaust of the PSU. The PC-V700 doesn't do this, but you have to admit, with today's 80+ PSUs heat from the units really isn't an issue!!. If you've felt the exhaust from a new PSU it is not noticeably warm at all!! and definitely no problem for the airflow this PC-V700 will be doing with the 140mm fans!!

++ LIAN LI ARE THE BEST

I have not been sponsored or paid by Lian Li in any way!! If they want to send me some free cases I wouldn't say no ;)

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i prefer bigger cases and boards whenever possible.if i had the space, i would get a good sound card, good ones makes a difference when you also have good speakers.[/citation]
A good board will have plenty of outputs from the built-in audio. MS has made audio-cards problematic.

Bigger cases have their uses. Again, other than 1-2 video cards - 2-3 slots is all most people need. They make single tuner cards that have 1~4 tuners on them.

Smaller cases are easier to cool than bigger cases... (again, bigger cases are still needed for HUGE video cards).

stevenrix

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
I might buy one if it fits my needs but i have to see this tower first with my own eyes. I'm looking for something that can be carried on a daily basis at my work without feeling the weight on my arms. I run a virtual lab on VMware for testing purposes between my work and my home, and so far the only tower that fit my needs was the Skeleton tower from Antec. It's very hard to compromise between powerful configuration and portability at the same time. A laptop unfortunately was not able to cover my needs without paying top dollars for a 32 gb memory configuration.

SuperVeloce

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
[citation][nom]larkspur[/nom]Thank you for the laugh. Reminds me why I never let others try to design my system for me.[/citation]
Although his idea is not a very good one, it's actually not any worse from today's most used combination (PSU sucking hot air from inside and heating itself up). PSU's rarely produce a lot of heat (bad quality or full load aside), but efficiency can drop if you heat them up with hot air from inside the case.

moonzy

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
OK approved for SFF, but I personally prefer at least 2 optical drive bays
and more 5.25" bays to stuff cables and not be concerned with air flow.

Basically, whatever. It's your system.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Here is a case I really enjoyed working, but Thermaltake may no longer makes... :( Its about $200.

The Mozart TX : http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/chassis/fulltower/mozart_tx/MozartTX.htm

Its HUGE, but not deep. it can hold two motherboards, tons of drives... as big as it is, it weighs nothing. It can hold up to 9 fans. Holds 5 5.25 drives and 7 3.5 drives. Routing cables takes a long long time... because you really want to HIDE as much as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.