Question Lian Li Lanncool II case - How to change the power LED to ARGB?

Jan 28, 2021
I've just built my new PC and connected all my 5 fans and 360mm water cooler to the ARGB headers of my Gigabyte Aorus H470 Pro mother board. Everything is working great and synchronized using RGB Fusion 2.0, including the LEDs in the case front panel.

However the LED that surrounds the power button is a steady WHITE and it's really bothering me and breaking the harmony of my RGB setup.

Anyone could kindly help me to fix this issue?

Is there a way to replace the power button WHITE LED to an ARGB one?

I'd really appreciate any help on this. Thanks in advance

There are few options:
  • Paint the led with translucent lacquer - nail polish etc. in color you like.
  • Paint the led in black or cut it out at all.
  • If you are in DIY mood with soldering skills, resolder one of LEDs from case RGB strip under power button. Try to avoid shorting anything in process. Also if you want to learn Atmel/Arduino programming, replace it with WS2812B compatible RGB led and program it as you wish.

Reactions: andrewilner
Jan 28, 2021
There are few options:
  • Paint the led with translucent lacquer - nail polish etc. in color you like.
  • Paint the led in black or cut it out at all.
  • If you are in DIY mood with soldering skills, resolder one of LEDs from case RGB strip under power button. Try to avoid shorting anything in process. Also if you want to learn Atmel/Arduino programming, replace it with WS2812B compatible RGB led and program it as you wish.
Thanks for your reply. I have soldering skills, and had already considered to replace the power LED for exactly one single WS2712B, as you suggested, which I already have a led strip small piece left from my actual built.

My concern is about the power button itself. I don't know if the POWER LED is intergarted in the POWER BUTTON, or if the power button just has a transparent border, so it only let the light of a PCB led go through.

As my PC is all mounted with a tight cable management, I'd have to desassembly everything to remover the case control panel (where the power button/led is assembled, just to chech this possibility. And this would be quite a pain.

If I could know FOR SURE that the power led is NOT an integrant part of the power button, of course I'd try to replace the LED at once, with a preety good degree of certainty that this would work.

Does anyone knows about this POWER BUTTON? Is the POWER LED integrated in it or the power led is soldered in the control PCB, separatly from the power button, just under it?

Thanks for your help Krotow. If anyone can add some more to my doubts...

DIY way is most interested for persons prone to break things and sometimes make them better than original :)

I believe no one here knows about power button. However those usually are made quite cheap and simple. You can dismantle case front and see how that button look. I believe it is a piece of plastic with some regular push button and LED soldered somewhere below it. Maybe LED is even not soldered but simply hang around nearby.

Reactions: andrewilner
Jan 28, 2021
DIY way is most interested for persons prone to break things and sometimes make them better than original :)

I believe no one here knows about power button. However those usually are made quite cheap and simple. You can dismantle case front and see how that button look. I believe it is a piece of plastic with some regular push button and LED soldered somewhere below it. Maybe LED is even not soldered but simply hang around nearby.

Yeah... I know it's difficult. I don't feel like painting the LED, but finding a pro solution.... hahaha . I know I can do it myself, once I find the right solution.

I don't know if you know this particular case. The POWER BUTTON lays on the control panel located at the top of the case. Taking the front panel out, is not enough to see the control panel and the power button. I have to disassemble the control panel to see both the power button and the PCB and check out where the POWER LED is mounted.

The control panel has all the control cables going to the mobo, and all these cables are tightly tied within the whole cable management, along with all fans and RGC cables. I have to dismantle everything to be able to remove the control panel just to check if the POWER LED is integrated with the POWER BOTTON, or if it's a separate smd component below the power button, as you suggested.

If this is true, my issue is solved, because all I have to do is to replace the POWER LED for a WS2812b ARGB LED and plug it into my ARGB mobo conectors, such as all my other ARGB componets.

The problem is that after I dismantle everything (it'll take several hours), I come across with a POWER LED inside the POWER BUTTON which cannot be replaced.

That's why I asked for help here, among a lot of experts. To avoid all this work unnecessarily. Knowing the answer for sure, I don't mind all the required work, I'll gladly do it.

But if nobody knows this answer, I'll have to seriously think if I'm willing to have this hard work just to have a 50% chance of sucsess. Maybe when I can take some vacations, I'll have spare time just to risk.

But the solution is there: Replace the POWER LED, if and only IF this is possible.

Thanks again for your kindness and take care,

Last edited: